Most docile/community chiclid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
So just to make sure I have this correctly now, your stock for your 29 gallon is now
-4 neon tetras
-3 serpae tetras
-1 rainbow shark
-1 horse face loach
-5 unknown African cichlids
-Possibly one male betta

If so, there are MAJOR issues in that tank, your new issue being the African cichlids. Not only can they be some of the most aggressive, nastiest cichlids (I had a female who ATE out all my community fishes eyes, two days fine, next day, everyone was either eye less, or dead, this was when I was learning african cichlids don't mix with community fish (i.e. neon tetras, horseface loach, serpae tetras), she was just a common "assorted african" petco fish) They need hard water, with a high pH. Hopefully this article helps you http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_chemistry_water_chemistry.shtml Most tetras prefer soft water, and the rainbow shark and horse face loach are probably okay with somewhere around neutral for a pH, I know the sharks aren't too terribly picky, but I'm pretty sure the loaches are more sensitive, as are the neons for sure.

You were concerned about your shark getting picked on, well depending on what species of African cichlids you have, as they get older and mature, there is a fair chance he will get picked on by them and not have the upper hand any more. It just depends on the territories you have, how large the tank is, whether males or females, if anyone pairs up, the sharks personality, etc. I rescued a rainbow shark that was in a 55 gallon with 3 pink convict cichlids, and his fins were all shredded and torn up from them picking on him.

How long has your tank been up and running with fish for? If it's not cycled on top of everything, then that's your number one issue right now.

Next is figuring if you want an African cichlid tank, or a community tank. Then rehoming the fish that won't fit, and getting proper schools if you go the community route, or adding more caves/territories and getting the water chemistry where it needs to be for African cichlids. :)

But have no fear, we are here to help you out :)

lithe

AC Members
May 2, 2012
Sorry, it took me forever to get the master test kit. It was quite expensive and then took at least 15 minutes total to run through each test. Here are my results for the tank at current.

It's a 29 Gallon tank.
PH is 7.6
AM 1-2 (it was hard to tell, but it seemed closer to 1)
Nitrite was 0
and Nitrate was between 0 and 5 (again, very close)

The cichlids have exhibited "flashing" upon entering the tank so it's possible they have Ich from stress. I have been instructed to treat the tank with extra salt and to heat it to 82 degrees. So... I'm in the process of doing that now.

As far as what kind of cichlids they are, you'd have to ask Petco. I went to Petsmart today to buy the kit and I told them that when I was asked about what kind of chiclids I had, I couldn't answer because the sign and the guy said "assorted." Mostly, they are hybrids. I have two blue ones with dark blue stripes, one white one, one that looks black but I imagine as it gets older might have a dark green color (and he has black stripes), and one that I know is a male, yellow lab because he's yellow with a black stripe on his top fins.

I understand how people are saying "do the research," etc, etc. I did do research. There are hundreds of types of cichlids and no one who sells them actually knows what the heck they are selling half the time and everyone I go to has conflicting information. At some point, you have to make up your mind to either dive in or not dive in to a particular purchase of fish. I understand as they get older they will get territorial. It was advised to us that this would be a non-issue if you "over-crowded" the tank because then no one fish could have a particular territory. I am unsure if I like this plan, but either way, these fish were sold together, housed in the same tank, and suggested to remain in the same tank so I can only assume they are designed to be housed together for life. The other fish they are with can be moved if need be. I am looking for a nice fish tank with happy fish, not necessarily a particular lake or region of fish. I, again, realize some fish shouldn't be housed together but I am trying here and the information out there is not exactly conclusive...

lithe

AC Members
May 2, 2012
Oh and there are no neon tetras or betta in that tank. There was when I had the puffer and the angel fish but I removed those fish. The neons and the betta are in their own tank. I'm working on putting the betta in a 5 gallon by himself because the waterflow in the 15 gallon where he is now is too strong.

lithe

AC Members
May 2, 2012
Sorry, I wrote that down wrong. The Ammonia in the tank is between .5 and 1 not 1 and 2.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Well the petco "assorted african cichlid" tanks are mostly Mbuna with a few others mixed in maybe. They require hard alkaline water and very clean and stable conditions to thrive.

The advice on keeping aggression down by overcrowding is correct........when applied to the Mbuna, NOT the rest of your fish. This technique will keep the Mbuna from picking on each other to the point of killing the low man on the pecking order(usually). The rest of your fish just aren't equipped to hold up with Mbuna as neighbors.

So regardless if Petco or Petsmart had them together they shouldn't be maintained together in the long run. The Rainbow Shark will last the longest because he thinks he's tough and the young Mbuna will believe him(for a little while), but the day will come when he gets in a genuine dispute with one of the Mbuna and he and you will learn that he's not.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
The information about african cichlids is very conclusive. Don't rely on petco and petsmart to give you info. There is a wealth of info here and many other places. Bottom line is your fish are not compatible for many reasons. We are just trying to help you keep something bad from happening. they may be fine for weeks....then not so fine. What you do with the info is up to you. There are whole forums and sections of forums...including this one....dedicated to cichlids. I suggest you use those resurces for your info.

You need to do frequent water changes until your ammonia is 0. The fact that you have nitrates is good...you should be almost cycled. You need to check daily and do water changes accordingly.

lithe

AC Members
May 2, 2012
Now I'm confused. Originally, I was hoping to keep the fish that weren't chiclids in the same tank. That was before my boyfriend decided to bring home 5 african chiclids. I know, obviously, at some point those fish need to leave the tank. As of right now, they are small and since my whole tank has now gotten ick from the africans, I can't move anybody. It was my plan to have a community tank but those fish obviously won't be able to be a part of that. So my confusion is now whether or not those particular cichlids are compatible with each other or do they also need to be separated?

lithe

AC Members
May 2, 2012
Oh and I did a water change today but it barely budged the ammonia. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that they have ick right now and if that is increasing the ammonia even more. When I had my water tested at all the aquarium stores and pet stores, they always said my water was perfect. I always bring in a sample when I go in to check. Now I test myself and its very difficult to lower that green color to yellow. In fact, I'm yet to do be able to do it.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
This is a perfect cichlid for you, yellow lab. They are yellow with a green eye and a black bar on their dorsal fin. Mine in my mbuna cichlid tank is very shy and peaceful. It also only gets 4-4 1/2 inches. It is a mbuna cichlid so that means it needs a high pH and a high temperature.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store