Most merciful way to kill your catch?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saganco

RIP my precious kitty baby
Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
i always cut it through the spine. catfish always got the knife through the head. cutting the fishes head off doesnt make it any harder to gut or clean.
So the head off thing would only make it harder to clean would be the catfish so you can "nail it to a board and skin it". Bleeding out only would work if they're still alive - so it would seem that the key would be a good bonk to render them unconscious, but not kill them so they can still be pumping blood. How to bonk to knock out and not kill? Seems it would be too difficult to know that fine line... It looks like cutting gills to bleed out while in the live well without the PITH would be better eating meat... Cutting heads off "kills" (scuze' the pun) the ability to bleed out, so I don't see the advantage in it.

grumpygrady

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
florida and new mexico
for bigger fish and catfish we use a wire in the head like a lobotomy or that frog in old biology class push it in between the eyes until you hit the brain and twist it around and around fish is dead but still breathing ,now bleed or what ever
smaller ones we dehead or fillet after a PITH lol never heard it called that but it fits

MMG

Registered Member
Nov 8, 2009

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I stick my thumb into the fishes mouth, bend its head back and snap its neck right behind the skull. But then I only fish for Trout. I wouldn't suggest my technique with Pike or Bluefish!

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
i sever the spine right behind the head with a sharp filet knife. i also bleed out the larger fish. it hurts them im sure, but it's a quick death. best method is to take the head off as quickly as possible (as mentioned above).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store