Most reliable heaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

polosniffer

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
If you've got a canister filter or some other external pump, then I highly reccommend the Hydor inline heaters - my 300W gives me perfect, even heating throughout my aquarium. Plus your tank looks better since it's not cluttered with equipment, and it's a great option if you've got aggressive fish that like to do damage to heaters, or sedentary fish that could get heater burn.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
We use Ebo Jagers. No problems..

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
NickH said:
OK, and why would you put a 300w heater in a 29 gallon tank!?
the tank was just set up to heal my 2" oscar. The watts where fine for the tank, it worked ok, steady temp till the suction cup fell off while I was at work, it didn't have anything to tell it what the tank temp was so it just kept turning up the heat. Even if it was a 100watt it still would have done the same thing.

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
Even if it was a 100watt it still would have done the same thing.
I seriously doubt a 100w heater could cook a 30g tank. Now, at 10w per gallon (or double the recommended heating power), a heater malfunction can be lethal. I have that same heater in a 90 gallon tank!

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
like I said it wasn't the watts that cooked the water, it was the fact that the suction cup that regulates the temp fell off the tank.....no temp regulation the heater was turned on al day. if you want I'll crank up my ebo 150watt in the same tank as high as it will go and leave it for the time I'm at work, 11 hours. or better yet I have a 100watt that doesn't turn off because its broke and if I plug it in the temp will go up AT LEAST 5 degrees in a few min. Now leave that on for 11 hours,same result. Once again untill the suction cup FELL OFF the heater worked great. yes in a larger tank(they were for my 225) it would have taken longer to heat up that much water, but why chance it. I sent them back and replaced them with Ebo's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store