Moulting frequency in bamboo shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bayst

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
Hi,

I have some bamboo shrimp and lately they seem to be moulting rather frequently. I have not kept perfect records, but from memory, it seems that some have moulted 3 times in the past month!!! This seems too frequent to me. In the past, I think it was about twice a month. One is sitting in a plant and not moving much now. :{

They are in an established tank, but I don't ever like to see them fanning the substrate, so I supplement them on a daily basis. I am feeding them powdered flake fish food (tropical and spirulina formulas) and Hikari First Bites.

Are they getting too much protein? What are some better options for feeding if this is the case?

Thanks in advance!

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I would watch your nitrates and see if you're getting a big increase just before and then a big decrease during water changes. Additionally, while they are filter feeders, I'm not convinced that it's bad for them to pick at the gravel a bit. Mine seems to favor it, even when I have plenty of other food sources suspended in the water, but maybe he's just developed a taste for pleco poo.

bayst

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks for the replies!

My water changes were roughly 25-30% per week in the past, but the past few weeks I've been doing smaller 10-20% changes to maintain more stability. The nitrates are always under or about 5 ppm, no nitrites or ammonia. Ph is 7.4-7.5. I don't notice the moulting after water changes, so I don't think that is it. The cherries in that tank don't moult at a high frequency either. The shrimplets and fry are all healthy and the tank is densely planted.

They do have lots of places to hang out in flow, and usually hang out fanning, but I do see them picking at the moss-blob, or at the java fern roots sometimes, and occasionally at the gravel. Whenever I see that, I tend to feed them! Maybe I need to calm down and see if it is more a quirk than a sign of starvation, like soberj mentions.

Right now, I am really thinking it is the protein in their diet. I am going to add more spirulina and algae to their diet and see if that will slow them down. I may throw in some of cellodaisy's algae/spinach/agar mix powder and see if they can eat that.

What are some other sources of vegetable matter that is small enough for them to eat?

Has anyone tried culturing green water for them or is that *too* fine? What about Kent Phytoplex??? I have always thought of these as potential food sources for them, but I wasn't sure what size particle is best for them, and I don't want to foul the water either.

Thanks again for any input and helping solve this!

Crispino Ramos

AC Members
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Real Name
Crispino Ramos
You can introduce more micro-organisms in your tank by using Shirakura baby shrimp food and Mosura BioPlus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store