moving a big fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nuttylemur

AC Members
Apr 2, 2006
my friends parents are moving to indiana, my friend is in iraq, and they have an oscar, a big one. i have a 30 gal tank that i am cycling right now, how can i get him in there?

he is living in a ten gal aquarium right now, and i have been bothering them to move him into something bigger, or give him to me.

jwddboy

An Oddball Man
Apr 8, 2006
It will get too big for your tank too. See if your friend can get a bigger tank or get him into a large 4-5 foot tank or larger.

pophead

back from the dead.
May 19, 2005
Edmonton, Ab. Canada.
try to either get a big net and get him that way, or get a 5gallon bucket and tip him into it from the 10g. or you could just pick him up...
yes a 30gallon is still WAY to small for an oscar, but it's better than a 10g. :thud:
how long is he?

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
The 30 gallon will definately be much better than the 10, but could only house the poor guy temporarily as he will soon out grow that. I think it's great that you are willing to help rescue him from a 10 gallon.

As for moving him I guess it would depend on how far the move is. I would transfer the water he is in into a clean, new rubber maid type tub with a lid. If you aren't going very far (say 15-20 minutes) that should be fine, much further and I would buy one of the battery operated emergency air pumps to put in with him to add oxygen. You can buy very large nets to net him up with or just try pouring him in with the tank water. Two people could lift and pour a 10. Good luck with the move.

jwddboy

An Oddball Man
Apr 8, 2006
Perfect. So it should be good in the 30gal for a little while. How far are you hoping to transport it?

cherrypie

Home Of The Punk Rock Fish
Jul 19, 2005
Perth, Australia
mykidsmylife said:
I would transfer the water he is in into a clean, new rubber maid type tub with a lid.
Good advice on taking the water, would suspect there's probably some major old tank syndrome going on in his current home.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I hope you're able to rescue the big guy and get him into your big tank--it's a noble thing to save a critter, especially from such conditions. Your friends may not even know any better--and ignorance is NOT bliss!!! Best of luck, and post pix for us when he gets situated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store