Moving and Into a New Tank-??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Hi dewild, I move my fish around alot, set up new tanks, add rock and sand and all sorts of things.

The plan you have is solid, except you really need to take some sand and rock to the new setup. Your clown is going to stress some, just from the changing of scenery, there is no way around that. You can help by keeping the lights low and minimal at first.

I personally would take some tankwater over also. Take a gallon at first with a minimum of a cup of "seed" sand, and at least a pound of rock. By taking water with your rock and sand in it, you will not have the die off during transit if you keep temps good, and within styrofoam, you should be OK.

The only reason not to, would be if your tank is "sick" and you want a fresh start.

Besides helping the cycle by taking rock and sand and water, yes the water does hold organisms and things unseen to the eye, the organisms your fish are used to, will be populated in the new tank as well. This is fish friendly for your little one.

If you are thinking of getting your fish some buddies, now also is the time to plan that and how to introduce them and at what stages.

When you finally do move your little one, move her with a gallon of water or more, but be carefull that the water does not slosh around and cause your fish to get banged up. Bagging is appropriate, and then suspend the bag in more of your tank water in the cooler. This will keep temp more stable.

When you catch her for transport, remove all your rock and obstruction carefully and do not net her. I use a margarine tub, and just slowly corner them, push the container against the glass with fish trapped then remove. Alot less stressful on the fish. I you net the fish, that is alot of stress. Think about it, how long has she been swimming? Now you throw her on the beach for seagulls to eat (genetic survival instincts) and poor little fishy freaks. Well she will most likely survive netting, but you expressed extreme concern, so take "all" measures to insure a safe journey.

I'm sure there are many other suggestions to help, but these are ones I have found to work well.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
thanks toejam. you have actually help me save a little cash on salt from your comment in another thread about having a lower salinity then i opted for in fowlr tank. i used to have it at 1.025 but now i am taking it down. 1 person said that 1.018 would be okay salinity for fowlr? i also have hermits and snails, is this fine for them also? im lowering it by .002 each water change.
According to my Bible ..the water chemistry book..=p Fish benefit from lower salinity due to oxygen exchange being more optimal. Inverts are very sensitive to paramater changes just acclimate them slowly if you do make changes.But the same might apply to them with the O2 but the book had no mention of that. I can only assume.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store