Moving fish from my 10 gallon to a new 20 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

picolo003

Registered Member
Dec 31, 2017
I have had my first aquarium, a 10 gallon, for about a year now and have had a lot of success, so I am going to be upgrading to a 20 gallon tank. My tank currently has a dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras, 2 otos and 2 ghost shrimp. I would like to add some more fish once I get my new tank set up and cycled, any suggestions? Also, what would be the best way for me to move my fish over to the new tank, without causing them a lot of stress?

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Transfer as much of the water from the 10 gal into the 20 gal as you can. Use the filter from the 10, if you can. Or you can squeeze the water out of the filters into the 20 gal. If you can use the pump with the filter on the 20 too. You should be able to transfer the fish then. You can save a gallon on so in a bucket and place the fish in the bucket. Once the water is transferred, slowly and gently transfer the fish into the 20 gal and pour the water into it too.
This has worked well for me.
I hope it goes well for you. Let me know.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The water from the old tank is basically useless. It doesn't contain beneficial bacteria. That's in filter media and surfaces in the existing tank.

intofish

AC Members
Sep 30, 2017
As always there are many ways and below are some i can think of.

> Use the filter from the old tank
> If you plan to have a new filter for 20g try to use the media from 10g
> Otherwise let both the filter run for a while and remove the old filter when the bacteria colony establishes itself in the new filter (give 3-4 weeks atleast). Keep checking the parameter after removing the old filter.
> Fishless cycle 20g independently

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store