moving oscar to bigger tank help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nikita Harben

AC Members
May 29, 2012
so im moving my tiger oscar to a bigger tank, and i want it to be as non-stressful and harmful to her. im using old filter media and gravel to speed up the cycling and what not. any ideas? i was thinking a drip system maybe but im not sure the best way ( the bigger tank is going on the same stand as the smaller, i have a sturdy dresser that would hold the bigger tank and fit it perfectly)
thanks!!!!!!!

iamstarstuff

AC Members
May 23, 2012
What size tank?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Is this the oscar your earlier thread says is in a 40 breeder? Not many "dressers" are realy designed to hold aquariums, especially ones larger than a 40 gallon tank. Is it the "move" that you are concerned about or having the new tank ready?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
+1 to Rbishop. A 40gal is already about 400lbs. "Dressers may look sturdy, feel sturdy and you can jump on it and not damage it, but you are not over 400lbs. And it is an even bigger tank??

Sorry, but IMO---Disaster waiting to happen.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
the largest id put on a dresser is a 10 gallon. MAYBE a 20 gallon if its older

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I keep a 10 gallon and a 5.5 on a dresser, but I wouldn't put any more on there.

I cant help with the Oscar moving problem but I can do this:

Isn't this thread about moving an Oscar?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes, but advice in doing so applies...

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
okay sorry totally didnt even THINK about that. i'll just get a new stand along with the bigger tank.
Thats good to hear! There are some DIY posts here if you are interested in building your own. Pre-built stands can be pretty expensive especially with larger tanks, but I am sure you could find a stand that matches your furniture at a pet shop that you can put together yourself.

As for actually moving him, make sure to move over a little bit of the filter media a day or two before, and then just move the Oscar over to the new tank. As long as you have been carrying out proper maintenance on your current tank, like weekly partial water changes, there shouldn't be much of a difference in water chemistry between e old and new water. Try to get the temps about the same and you should be good to go to just move the fish. As for afterwards, keep an eye on the oscar to make sure everything is all good, and make sure to move over e rest of the media to the new tank's filter. That will help make sure you don't go through another cycle.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store