Mudskipper/Tank pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
I think that the mudskippers are fascinating and your system is really great. I like how natural it is instead of looking commercial. Great job! Hope you post more pics as the system changes and the mangroves grow.
Thanks a lot everyone for the comments. I'll definitely post more pics, the skippers have already dug a cave under the land rock. It's cool watching them go in and out of that thing one of them is on constant guard of it lol. As for it being a natural look, I worked really hard on that, I think they would be much happier if it's more natural looking so I made it as natural as I possibly could. Thanks again for the kind words! ;)

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
***Update***

Just giving you guys an update. Changed the tank around some and still waiting on more Mangroves to come in. I'm adding the Black and White species of mangrove to my tank. Added more sand/water and did some rock scaping. Also is a pic of my new tank stand my brother n law made for me. Enjoy.

Before:

After:

New tank stand. About to redo my frog tank when I purchase a tank of the same size so I will have matching tanks.

Some skipper pics.

One of my male crabbies

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
nice shots as usual!

I'm curious to hear how your skippers and crabs get along. I frequently see them in tanks together, they have the same basic requirements, so that makes sense to me... I was under the impression that skippers liked to eat inverts, so I've always been curious if they went after dwarf crabs and shrimp, or if they prefer smaller inverts.

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
nice shots as usual!

I'm curious to hear how your skippers and crabs get along. I frequently see them in tanks together, they have the same basic requirements, so that makes sense to me... I was under the impression that skippers liked to eat inverts, so I've always been curious if they went after dwarf crabs and shrimp, or if they prefer smaller inverts.

I have had no issues what so ever with the crabs and skippers. When the crabs get to close the mudskipper usually lunges at the crab and the crab takes off. More of a warning then I'm gonna eat ya. I keep Ghost shrimp in my tank and they always end up as food. It's fun watching the mudskippers go fishing for them.

Actually the Fiddler Crabs and Mudskippers can be found on the same beach in the wild. Now the larger mudskippers would probably tear the crabs apart. i have the smaller species (Indian) so I don't think I'll have an issue. Unless when they are full grown which is only 4 inches. But I still dont think I'll have any issues. Only issues I've had with the fiddler crabs is when I tried to keep a Knight Goby in the water area, but they lay around to much and one of my crabbies got a hold of him and was eating him when I got home :( He lived a good 5 months I guess, was sad to see him go down like that though.

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
1. Have you had any problems with crabs
2. How many gallons is this tank?

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
1. Have you had any problems with crabs
2. How many gallons is this tank?

1. Never any problems with my skippers, just with my Knight Goby, a crab got a hold of him and was eating him when I got home from work :( Skippers scare the crabs when they get to close.

2. 30g (36x12x16)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store