Multi-Species Paladarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
Another point about the UVB lights, UVB rays cannot pass through glass or plastic. So, if you do make a sunroof or skylight, that will not supply UVB rays. (I'm a reptile person, can ya tell?) There are many ways to protect critters from the burning hot basking bulbs and fixtures, though it will be more difficult with birds in the picture. In my own habitats where the bulb is inside the cage, I have it out of reach. That, of course won't work with birds. Another option is something like this. Also, in a setup like this, it might be tempting to use something like a heat rock for a source of heat. I avoid these like the plague. Reptiles have been burned on these many, many times.

I think this project would be much, much easier without birds. I also really like the ides of butterflies rather than birds, though some of your reptiles may attempt to eat them.

I'm sure you will do this anyway, but make sure you research every species you plan to add, and make sure they are okay being with other species. (Most people in the reptile world, especially those in North America), will tell you to never mix species. Though it is difficult, it is possible if you have the right knowledge and experience, and if you have enough cages if everything go awry.) For instance, avoid adding chameleons. While they are absolutely gorgeous and very interesting creatures (I happen to have one for those reasons), they are very easily stressed out, not only by the presence of another of their kind, but also the presence of non-Chameleon species. There are many reptiles that are solitary by nature, and it would probably be a good idea to not try to put these in an enclosure such as this. However, I think turtles would be an awesome addition, either water turtles (though they may try to eat your fish) or box or wood turtles (but they are more expensive).

One thing I just thought of is I wonder how the humidity would affect the birds. I know there are tropical birds, but I think most of them wouldn't be suited for this kind of enclosure. This is may be another reason you might want to consider butterflies.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
sounds like an awesome idea - one I followed online in another forum - dendroboard I think (dart frog forum site) a fellow actually built a two story waterfall in a courtyard attached to his house, installed lights thousands of gallons of pond - made of glass, was a truly more amazing than any zoo dispaly i've ever seen took months if not years and he hired all but the creative planting and animal care details out - fantastic tho...I am fairly sure it was dendroboard - I'll try to find a link, his was a LONG thread but it had PICTURES that were truly incredible.

I've wanted to do something like this or years...as in more than 30, but never got past the planning stage and have stuck with more conventional housing & care, albeit on a larger than average scale. I have a few ideas.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
Being on a slab is a good first start, querry - you mentione it was an addition, is the slab on footings? Also location USDA zone & frost freeze line? These a some of the issues that put a kink in my works for many years, I did consult some experts and my houses just couldn't carry the load.
An idea that I've kicked around quite a bit is a centralized family area like you described with extra large habitats ling the walls to provide for a plethora of inhabitants while meeting the care and comfort needs of each including the people. I know a first respons may be that is not what you are looking for, but by large I'm thinking bathtub size enclosures, literally bath tubs and showers. Sounds a bit crazy I know but the concept solves many of the humidty and habitat problems utilizing tub &/or shower surounds and glass doors. many of these actually come with available 'celings', fans are built to fit and more could easily be added and removed as needed, add in the option of opening and closing doors to allow inhabitants in and out of the main area of your room and the feeling is more of being surrounded by wonderful living interactive displays and less of an ongoing hygeine and potential health issue, for the stewards or those being kept. Something along these lines could also provide the opportunity to house a multitude of species that catch your fancy but would not interact well together or require different habitats.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
some more thoughts

here is a ling to a shower size PDF vivarium http://www.poison-frogs.nl/e0302.html not the one I remembered but some good info and ideas.
Another thought, what about tiling the entire room? walls/floor/ceiling, you could theoretically on a slab foundation essentially 'waterproof' the entire room much like a bathroom and build up from there, seems to me the hardest work would be in laying the foundation for this project. Other things to consider, water source - a laundry tub type sink come to mind as a good choice if the room has plumbing access, ventilation separate from the house system would be good as would independent heating/cooling option, lots of GFI outlets, perhaps the need for an additional electrical box....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store