Muppy Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Awesome! I love how you can see the snakeskin patterning coming through on the bottom male.

Meotoko

Registered Member
Dec 22, 2010
My Own attempt at the hybrid :D

I myself have bred guppies for many years, never had Mollies though.
I found out about the hybrid muppy golly fishs and figured id and "make a situation" where a hybrid could happen.

I'm trying with a purpleish male guppy and a white female sailfin molly.
These are my fish (sorry for the bad pic will take abetter one later):

(male guppy)

(female Molly)

(both)

So far the Female looks gravid I got both of them on the first of dec 2010 (pics taken 22 of dec) and she was slender and looked unmated.
so im not getting my hopes to high for the first drop*crosses fingers*, but i'll keep everyone posted threw this hybrid trial :)
any question or comments wellcome

MartinNL

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2011
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Real Name
Martin
Golly?

Could anybody comment on this picture?

Oneand a half year ago I gave my daughter 5 guppies and 5 black mollies. One after another died. Two of the female guppies were pregnant and died without a clear reason. They were healthy the day before they died.

Just when we were left with just two female molles, we got 11 fry, the female died shortly after. Leaving us with just one pregnant black molly and 11 fry in a different tank. The last female died she gave birth to... ...approximately 240 fry (!). These 240 were all black. At birth just 4 of them died. In the mean time the fry grew up, and are delivering fry already. At a certain moment in time I wanted to stop getting fry by starting our personal golly project.

In a separate tank I already had 18 females and 1 male black molly. This male was transported to a larger tank in which I just let nature solve the problem.

The tank with 18 females got some male guppies and that was the start of my golly project. Hoping I didn't succeed in getting fry again. I was terribly wrong. Fry kept on coming.

Here a picture of a fry (6 weeks old) I got, realizing this might also be affected by the presence of the male black molly in the past. I noticed the number of dead fry is rising (approx. 20-25%). This fry was from a batch of fry in which approx 25% was not fully black.

In the moment I got som more fry (14 dead, 60 alive of which half not fully black).

IMG_0567 verkleind.JPG

MartinNL

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2011
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Real Name
Martin
More gollies?

Another batch of fry arrived today. A total of 73, of which 28 died and 45 survived so far. From earlier experiences, chances of the living fry staying alive are very high. Of this batch there are less non black fry. I still have 4 pregnant black mollies.

Meotoko

Registered Member
Dec 22, 2010
Well after a long long wait final she had some babies.4 VERY small clear fry.one passed on so I'll wait to see what these three babies turn out to be, will post pictures soon :)

2rivers

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
NH
Real Name
Brandon
These hybrids are givin me mad scientist evil Killifish ideas. I love playin GOD with fish genetics. Evolution ina glass-o-water from microb.#1 fun stuff:)

MartinNL

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2011
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Real Name
Martin
Just what has been written by summer_of_41 on 08-20-2009 ('In addition, the fish appear to have a blue-ish gloss that reflects in the light.'), also happens to some of my hybrids. Not on the tail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store