mushrooms stung

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vera222

AC Members
Apr 5, 2010
Hello, earlier today my frogspawn fell off of it's rock (i was cleaning part of the front glass and making too big of waves, and it kind of floated up with a wave. oops) it rolled over my rock of red mushrooms, and apparently stung every single one of them in in about 1 second) They are now all shriveled up and/or have turned a flourescent pink. One of them looks like it is starting to split too, which is weird. I know mushrooms are super tough, but does anyone know how long it will take them to recover? Also, since they're probably very stressed from being stung, is it possible they're releasing any toxins in the water? Wondering if I should do an early water change. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Never heard of a coral stinging that quickly. Based on the limited contact I would say a week.

vera222

AC Members
Apr 5, 2010
They were definitely stung. They were happy and fully open until the frogspawn rolled over them. It even sort of stung me when I picked it up to put it back. I grabbed the hard stub of course, but one of my fingers touched the fleshy part briefly and I felt a weird sting. It was obviously pretty upset after rolling down the rocks. :( It's now back to normal, though, and fully inflated. This is the first time any of my corals have ever stung another (that I'm aware of at least) . I even have a galaxy coral, which I know have a bad reputation, but mine has never hurt anything. Hope the mushrooms heal quickly (hopefully faster than a week). :) Thanks, greech!

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
Wow that's crazy. I know some corals can definitely sting, but I keep all kinds of euphylliads like galaxea, torch, frogspawn, hammer, etc and have yet to have any stinging problems with me or any other livestock. I had no idea that it could happen that easily or quickly :(

Now you guys have me worried since they all kind of live in such close proximity. I keep an eye out for sweepers at night and haven't seen any from the coral I have now - but I have in the past and I just make the flow keep them away from each other...

I hope your mushrooms heal quickly, I guess we should all take note and be more cautious lest we lose a coral to a quick accident like this

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
From what I understand about the Euphylliads, some can be near each other and others can't. Probably a measure of just how close they are in the family or some such thing. I know Torch's are often suggested as not playing nice with the Hammers and Frogspawns.

My guess in this situation though is that the Frogspawn didn't try to sting the mushroom. Probably just bad luck for the mushrooms that a sweeper or maybe just a regular tentacle with stinging cells hit them as the Frogspawn fell down. On the good side, it'll hopefully mean they didn't get a true sting and can recover faster.

Epoxy or glue that Froggy down and you have much less risk of it falling on something again. :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store