My 125 gallon build a.k.a. in the deep end...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great tank.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
it looks incredible, now i have dreams of wood work and building......... oh dear

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Just a quick update. Ordered CO2 system and waiting for it to arrive. Cycling tank now. Heaters and filters are holding their own, but tank is fighting a brown diatom (I assume) outbreak. I have a few tetras in there while it cycles. Probably going to go with a few Angelfish when it matures. Looking forward to planting it, too. At work now but more pictures soon.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
First photos of the wet aquarium...

Here are some early shots of the aquarium as its going through the initial cycle. Checking chemistry everyday. Its been one week and I think tonight, the ammonium just started to climb. Planning small water change tomorrow, then more waiting as nature takes its course. I've got a nice mix of tea colored water from the tannins and a brown diatom bloom and with a fair amount of cloudy "white smoke" in the water. The wife is less than impressed with the water color so far...see what you think.

297.JPG

299.JPG

297.JPG 299.JPG

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Cycling...

Nothing like sitting around watching bacteria grow. About 1 week into cycling and not many changes in chemistry noted yet. I'm sure the tetras are eating and making ammonia, but its still is barely detectable. No nitrites or nitrates yet. So far they are active and seem happy! The tanins have settled down some, and I think I'm through the first diatome bloom. So its mostly been feeding the fish, checking the chemistry every few days, and some housekeeping chores.

One of the original goals for my light hood was for the light rack to be both adjustable in height and to lift up for easier access during maintenance. With the relatively low ceilings in the basement, I knew such a short hood would limit my access somewhat. So I spent some time replacing the wooden blocks with some lengths of chain. The new system allows me to raise and lower the height by adding or removing lengths, plus its attached to the top lid, so the front of the light rack lifts up when the top is raised. Maybe the pictures describe it better.

Old "wooden block" adjustment system
IMG_0493.jpg

New "adjustable chain" system - lid down
008.JPG

New "adjustable chain" system - lid up
009.JPG

I also worked on some plumbing. I received 3 new sets of Eheim quick disconnects and plumbed them into the 3 pump circuits. Now the pumps, heaters, and CO2 reactor can be completely isolated and removed for maintenance. If something goes out of service, I can keep the loops running. A little jumbled, but here's my left sided Eheim 2217 with the inline heater.

013.JPG

Finally, I received my CO2 system from greenleafaquariums.com. I'm clearly no expert, nor do I yet have a single plant in the tank, but for what its worth, here's how I've got it set up now.
010.JPG011.JPG012.JPG

pH meter seems to be working, and the solenoid does shut off the CO2 when the target pH is reached. Based on my kH, I have a CO2 concentration of 23 ppm at my goal pH of 6.8. We'll see how things work in practice when I add some plants but theorectically...

Wish me luck.

IMG_0493.jpg 008.JPG 009.JPG 013.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good!

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Planted the 125!

Visited the LFS today, and came away with a smattering of plants for the 125. We talked about the pros and cons of cycling first then planting versus a "silent cycle" with a small amount of fish and a good amount of plants. We picked out a bunch of hopefully easier starter plants to get things going, understanding that reworking, moving, and trying different things is in the works.

Plant list is:
1 - red ozelot sword
2 - java ferns
2 - jungle vals (vallisneria gigantea)
6 - italian vals (vallisneria spiralis)
1 - anubias congensis
2 - anubias coffeefolia
1 - hygro sp.

Here's how it looks:
005.JPG008.JPG009.JPG012 (2).JPG

Its a first attempt, just happy to have live plants in there. We'll see how it goes from here.

005.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 012 (2).JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store