My 240g tank journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Going to pick up my 240 tomorrow. Same dimensions. I think I'm going to steal your stand ideas. Thanks for doing this build 'cause I had no clue how I was going to build the stand. Perfect height too.

Great job!

Tom

andi872

Purple is my signature color
Nov 12, 2007
Warner Robins, GA
looks like its going to be great

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Looking awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the plumbing of the whole system as well.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Going to pick up my 240 tomorrow. Same dimensions. I think I'm going to steal your stand ideas. Thanks for doing this build 'cause I had no clue how I was going to build the stand. Perfect height too.

Great job!

Tom
Thanks Tom! May I suggest you look at this though: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=902837&postcount=5
I might have used a design more similar to that than what I did which ended up being not so space efficient. I just had already started to build mine when I saw that one, and wasnt a big deal my design seems to work fine. Make sure you have some friends with you when you go to move that beast! lol.

Also thanks for the kind words Calvarly, Puffer, Andi, and Sploke. Sploke - yeah the plumbing is finished now I just got to get the overflows running and tuned and pictures uploaded. It isnt really pretty but hopefully works well. I re did the plumbing like 3-4 times now mainly becuase I kept getting larger pumps. Stay tuned.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net

Here are a few miscellaneous plumbing pics:

Various plumbing parts. This is actually a fraction of what I ended up using (partly because I ripped out half of the plumbing 3-4 times becuase I've changed the pumps). I bet I have $200+ in just pvc parts. Sickening really, and I could have gotten by with a lot less had I had a good design to start with, oh well.

Durso style standpipes. Seems to be the common way to make a stanpipe with lower noise and less co2 loss. After I made these I found there was a couple other methods too, the stockman standpipe and also a totally silent but touchy setup that draws no air (complete siphon) the Herbie Method. I'd have tried that if I hadnt already done most the plumbing. Maybe next time.

Spraybars:

Mocking up some spraybars. I was undecided on how to plumb the returns and eventually decided on spraybars that crossed the whole tank nearer the bottom. The idea is since the intake is at the top (overflows that skim the surface) I want a good current coming from across the bottom then up to the top. On the little space between the overflows and the ends I also ran a smaller verticle spray bar just so there was a dead spot.

Painting them black so they dissapear against the black background (I hope).

Hopefully tomorrow or soon I'll post the rest of the plumbing pics. I have it pretty much complete just working on getting the tank full and running, and uploading pics yet.​

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Haha looks like how I spent last night as well. Got the overflows in the mail so set them up on the 150 and the 55 for the wall. I can relate to the plumbing thing, its to the point where when I change my ideas and want to try something new, I can usually rummage around the basement and find what I need rather than making a trip to the hardware store.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Bail O Dhia ar an obair !

(god bless the work!)

great tank & great thread - very informative. looking forward to seeing your progress.

Digital

IC3D
Nov 18, 2007
Fairfield County, CT
www.ic3d.net
Real Name
Marc Digital
This is truely amazing, you are definately a skilled craftsman and avid aquarist! I just used a jig saw for the first time today (I'm 27) and it was awesome! I really have had plans to do things like this, and I would really like to make some stuff for my tanks, specifically a top for my 90G, but hey man. AWESOME WORK!

I love the tank! Please keep us posted! All the pics and everything are so very helpful!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store