My 55 gallon planted tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clownfish1124

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
Hi everyone! I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank that is currently setup as a fish only, and I would like to add some plants too it. It was originally a reef tank, but I had to take it down due to complications. It currently has 2 angels, some swordtails, and some emperor tetras. I have an Aquaclear 110 filter, a Theo 300 watt heater, and a 2x54 watt t5 HO lighting system, which puts me at just under 2 wpg. The tank has an established gravel bed (just run of the mill inert gravel) of varying sizes, about 2 mm -1 cm. I do not want to purchase any new equipment if I don't have to, so no CO2. I have the tank as automated as possible (ATO unit, temp control, lights on a timer, auto feeder) because I travel a lot and don't have as much time as I would like to work on the tank. However, i do make sure to religiously do a 20% water change every 2 weeks.
I just want to keep "easy plants," such as anacharis (I would honestly be fine if the tank were run over by this plant, because it is my favorite), java ferns, and anubias.
I am also planning on adding some ottos for algae cleanup and maybe some tiger nerites or apple snails.
My camera is broken, so i apologize for not having pictures.
Will I be able to get this going? Your advice is much appreciated.

Ambidestrian

Intermodal
May 28, 2011
PNW
Real Name
Kelly
I say go for it. If you get a lot of plant mass in the tank they will use up CO2 faster than it dissolves into the tank, but you can also dose the tank with flourish excel.

clownfish1124

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
Ok thanks! I did read somewhere (I think it was on this site) that flourish excel melts anacharis. Is that true? Also how often would I have to do the flourish excel?

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
So one can actually have too many plants in a tank as their is not enough CO2?

Can you compensate by having more fish, which would then lead to heavier filtration?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store