My 75 Gallon Planted Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
What pH test are you using? I think the floor for API's High pH Test kit is 7.6, so you'll never get a reading below that. Their regular pH test has a ceiling of 7.8, I think.

kimbm04r

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Warsaw, IN.
Real Name
Myra
I am using API, this is from the Low Ph Test which has a max of 7.6, the High starts at 7.4 and when I test using the High I get the 7.4 so I am at a loss as to what the kit is trying to tell me so I am going with the Milwaukee reading which has been calibrated for 7.0.

And all the Test Kits I am using are the API brand.

Also, my Drop Checkers are both green. I made my own drop checker solution using instructions from this site, at least I believe it was from here. I checked it this morning to make sure it was 4dKh and found it to be 5dkh. With this solution, what would my C02 number be when it is green in the drop checker?

Last edited:

kimbm04r

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Warsaw, IN.
Real Name
Myra
Update - Monday 10/21/2013

I did a 25% water change yesterday using 15 gallons of RO water. During this change I did some plant maintenance as well. I remove all plants that had the BBA and either cleaned them or removed them altogether.

I removed 5 or 6 leaves from the Madagascar Lace plant that were showing signs of the algae but the remaining leaves look pretty good and are growing very nicely. The Wisteria is growing very well also, the new growth is without algae since the beginning of the dosing of the ferts and CO2 so I removed these and took the new growth off and replanted it. I haven't done anything with the crypts and other original plants. I am hoping they will start looking and growing just as nicely as the others. They don't show much sign of algae. I added Dwarf Hairgrass to the area in front of the rock. I will see how it does.

I am dosing:

1/8 tsp K2S04 Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday
1/8 tsp K2P04 Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday

1/8 tsp CSM+ Monday, Wednesday, Friday

I haven't been dosing KN03 because of my nitrate levels being so high and they don't seem to be going down much at all. The C02 is running using a Milwaukee SMS122 Ph Controller and it is set at 6.8 Ph. It was over 8 before the introduction of C02. My Drop Checker is a green color so I believe that means I have adequate CO2.

The first photo is test results before water change, then the test results after water change and the tank after water change.

All comments/suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

1-IMG_5690.JPG 2-IMG_5693.JPG 3-IMG_5695.JPG 4-IMG_5694.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store