My Angelfish are Here!!! Questions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
My angels love hikari frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I also feed a variety of Ken's flake and occasionally white worms. On the freeze dried - do you hydrate it before feeding? It can cause bloat if eaten dry - it expands in their stomach and can kill them. Oh and BTW - I am in contact with a blue tiger shrimp breeder - I am guessing that by the middle of next week I will have some of them too!! :22_yikes: They ain't cheap!
No, I never knew about hydrating them. I have never hydrated it. I just leave it to float on tank surface. How do I hydrate? Is it just getting it wet/soaked?

Yeah, the cheapest I found online besides on aquabid was $40 for 10 with free shipping and LAG.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Yep - just put them in water for a little bit and then feed. Angels are PIGS and eat a lot of food and still beg for more. You may never have any problems, just wanted to give you a heads up. That is a good deal on the shrimp. The ones I found are more like $7 each - no one else is offering them that I can find.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I think on aquabid, if you wait a while, u will see an auction for 10 tiger shrimp starting at $10, I won at $26. They were by forysthaqua.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Finally, the angels won't dart away(not really possible in a 10G) when I walk near them or put food in the tank.:D

They are looking great, and are eating well with 25% water changes every other day.
I think I will move them into the 72G in a few days(3-4), and then after I make my fish rack for breeding in my garage, then put them in there. There is no insulation in there right now, so I will put in lots of towels around the back and behind them, and get sufficient heaters, though they won't be needing them right now(it is 90+ F here in SJ, CA)

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Yep - just put them in water for a little bit and then feed. Angels are PIGS and eat a lot of food and still beg for more. You may never have any problems, just wanted to give you a heads up. That is a good deal on the shrimp. The ones I found are more like $7 each - no one else is offering them that I can find.

Currently on aquabid, there is a seller with 10 (OEBTs) orange eyed blue tiger shrimp(not the tiger shrimp I got, I got regular tigers) for $40 with free shipping and LAG.I'm not sure if it is over or not.

Angels are such pigs like you said, I have (kind of) trained them to swim to the back right corner of the tank every time when I feed. Every time I walk by, they come up expecting something, they even tried to bite my finger when I made it look like a ovalish tubifex/brine cube and this was right after they ate lots of bloodworms.:) Pigs. I walk by at least 100X a day since they are in my BR, so much have stomachs bigger than mine............lol

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey Ritap - LOL mine ALWAYS want food. Once they get to know you they are very docile and will even eat out of your hand (or fingers). On the OEBT - after doing a lot of reading about them I have decided to go a different way. My tanks stay at 79 to 80 degrees w/o a heater. From what I can tell - just too warm for them. So I have ordered some yellows, some malawa and some of the dark greens (I hope for them, we'll see). I can house the malawa or the dark greens w/the RCS and the others with the yellows (I have 2 10s ready and a 3rd on the way). I have ordered a bunch of fontanus, subwass and ferns - I am hoping to make some really nice tanks for them. When I get them all up and running (and stocked w/shrimp) I'll post some pics.

How are your racks coming along? So happy for you - you are on your way! Make sure you give your dad a hug for allowing you to pursue your passion - who knows where it could lead you!

Keep in touch,

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I think RCS will inbreed with yellows or dark greens, but I am not sure. I think yellows, greens, and RCS are the same family, but IDK for sure. My rack has been approved by my dad, but as of now, I am in the process of making space in our really messy garage. The only space as of yesterday was room to play table tennis. The rack will be done before we go to either oregon or canada with our grandparents who are visiting from India. Which means it hopefully will be done by july 15th.

Thanks
Ritap

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey Ritap - the RCS and yellows will inbreed but the others are completely different species so I will keep the yellows and RCS apart and put green in one and malawa in the other. I am setting up another 10 this weekend so I might put the greens by themselves. Great news on the rack - can't wait to see your setup!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
oh, okay, I wasn't sure about that. I am hoping to get some greens too. No malawa for me, do they breed in FW? I have 2 10s, 1 20, and 1 72G running as of now. I am going to probably keep them all, and make the rack 6X2X8 so then I can have 2 10s, and a 20 on the bottom, 1 55 and 1 20 on the middle, and if I need the top one, another 55 and another 20.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
For the rack, we are buying connectors that can hold up to 1000lbs per shelf. But since we are either remodeling our house to a 5 BR, or buying a new house, then my dad said we will set up the rack after we are done with that. Right now, we are going for a new house we found within 1 mile of ours.

And I moved the pair to my 72G, but the male got abused by my dominant koi adult angel, so I moved him and her to the 20G RCS tank, and after 2 days in there, all I see is the angels, 10 amanos, and a few RCS, I had like 60 in there, and now there are only 10.........................i am moving the remaining shrimp to a different tank tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store