My betta tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I wanted to try something new, so added a small piece of mopani wood. The anubias are tied down with 2lb fishing line, as are the small java ferns on the rock in the front. The background plants are a small bunch of moneywort. The foreground plants are dwarf hair grass and cryptocoryne wendtii "green". There's also a small bit of java moss attached to the wood.

I wanted to set up a tank worthy of the gorgeous betta I found at one of those chain pet warehouses. (He snagged my attention, then very much acted like he wanted to go home with me.) His tankmates are a pair of red ramshorn snails. The tank is a 3.7g with a built in filter compartment, that has an adjustable flow pump. The lowest setting has a very minimal current, so he has no trouble swimming.

I had soaked the mopani for about a week, changing the water once or twice a day as needed. It has only minimally colored the water before I added it to the tank, but has since considerably discolored the tank. The betta doesn't seem to mind, but it's a little dark for my visual taste. He had a decent bubble nest built before I did some routine maintenance yesterday.

image.jpg

This one is Mr Fish, after I removed the plastic/resin decorations and replaced them with all live plants. The anubias nana was originally in the gravel, and the roots had seriously grown, so I just buried them in the gravel again. The dwarf hair grass was in the original setup, so I divided it into smaller clumps and focused it at the front. I attached El Niño ferns to lava rocks because I like the leaf shape, and I thought they would give him more cover than the baby narrow leaf java ferns I've got growing in my Jar O Ferns. The moss ball was also part of the original setup. There is also an anubias nana attached to a suction cup to tone down the pump flow.

image.jpg

The last tank is another small piece of mopani wood, with anubias congensis and narrow leaf java ferns tucked into natural crevices. The other plants are lobelia cardinalis. This guy has a few bladder and ramshorn snails for tankmates.

image.jpg

Any suggestions on suitable tankmates? Or changes to the set up of the tanks?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
When it comes to tanl mates, there isnt anything to add. If you can, upgrade the tank to a 15 gal. long or a 20 gal. long providing you have the space for a tank that size and the funds for it. Then you can add a few other tanks mates. Harlequin Rasboras, Platies, black neon tetras, you can also add some pygmy corydoras, neon tetras. Just make sure you dont overstock the tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great tanks!

Bella77

Registered Member
Jan 12, 2015
This is very nice post.....You rocked posting it thanks a lot for posting it.....!!!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yes! Beautiful. Those are some happy and lucky bettas for sure.

Like said above, a male betta will do well in a community tank setting. I've never had them be bothered or stressed by flow either. It's amazing how well/fast they can swim IMO.

I've got 4 female bettas in my community 55g. Super entertaining fish. Funny personalities to them.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I have gambusia in one of my larger tanks and a bichir in the other "big fish" tank. Neither are suitable tank mates for bettas!

The betta tanks are seriously overgrown at this point, so I'm going to thin out the plants and add them to my new setups when I move. The gambusia will get their own heavily planted species tank, but I have a 20 tall I'm planning on stocking with bloodfins or silvertips. Would either of those work with a betta? (This tank still has its old undergravel filter, as well as a HOB AquaClear - both of which I will use.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store