My Big Goldfish Are Dying...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wxguy23

AC Members
May 22, 2006
I don't want to sound lazy, but the who process is time consuming being that its a 55 gallon with a heavy top!

Uhhhh.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I'm not familiar with the filter, I am saying if the filter is listed for 55-100 gallons as a stand alone, get two.

You will need to get rid of the feeders anyway because of their voracity as compared to the fancies. They will out compete them for food and space if given the time. The 4 goldies for a 55 gallon tank would be ideal at this point. If the comets were given away, weekly water changes/gravel cleanings would be the standard but the water change would need to be at 30%-50%. Water changes being on a weekly basis is not just a goldfish thing, it is an aquarium thing. This is for Freshwater unplanted tanks though, each kind of tank varies though. Planted tanks have different needs and Saltwater tanks have different needs. As far as not needing to change a SW tank for 45 days a pop, that I am not sure about. Who is giving you this advice?

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
If you go and buy a python, it will make water changes a breeze. Then you just hook it up to the faucet and the water is sucked out(you can gravel vac at the same time) and when you want to refill the tank, you just put dechlor diirectly into the tank, get the faucet water the same temp as the tank and fill it up. No buckets. Print out petsmarts online price and they will match it. Saves ya about 10 bucks.

As DD says, 50% weekly waterchanges are pretty standard for most tanks and you could probably get away with this if you got rid of the feeders. BTW goldfish are cool water fish, so they dont need tropical temps, just in case you are running a heater.

kmgriff72

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
If you don't like doing water changes then definitly don't do SW. It is double the work plus you have to make up the saltwater or buy it. Either way it is real expensive that is why I quit. Goldfish are one of the messiest fish around. You should be doing water changes at least once a week and changing 30-50% each time. I would do like the others say and invest in a Python. I have a 75 gallon and know what you are talking about it being heavy and time consuming. This would make things a lot easier on you and you could have it done in no time. I am going to buy one soon also.

wxguy23

AC Members
May 22, 2006
I got a python and water test master kit.

Hey the python...works great

I got the online price for both and saved 35 dollars!!!

Can I put small goldfish(size of thumb) in with my big fantails(nearly size of my fist)?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store