My Bio Spira Experiment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

watermelon

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
I made a mistake of overstocking my tank and over feeding..My established cycled 55 gallon tank had a very large ammonia spike and I mean very large..My established tank was in the cycle mode again..I cut down on the feedings and I transferred some of my fishes out..So I will document how Bio Spira will cyle my tank and save my fishes from ammonia/nitrite death:

Day 1 (Very large Ammonia spike):
Ammomia 8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 12.5

Day 2:
Ammonia 8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 12.5

Day 3 (Finally nitrites)
Ammonia 8
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 12.5

Day 4:
Ammonia 2
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 12.5

It looks like the Bio Spira is working since as the days go by, cycling is taking place..After I added Bio Spira, I did not do any water changes since I believe it will prolong or kill this cycle at this rate..People who used Bio Spira in the past would say with a heavy bio load like what I have in my tank, it might take 2 weeks or more to completly cycle but that is a lot better than 4-6 weeks with high ammoina or nitrites..

Last edited by a moderator:

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
So let me get this right....you have left you fish exposed to deadly levels of ammonia for 4+ days as an experiment?

Good, great, wonderfully brilliant idea!

I would hazard to guess that your fish have at this point sustained irreversible gill damage, there by, shortening their life span considerably(assuming they live thru this little experiment)

What should I have done, you ask? A series of water changes until the ammonia hit close to zero, then add the biospira. Tank cycles, fishes live, everyone is happy. Bingo!

Now that we have established your knowledge of fish keeping in quite low, would you like some help keeping your fish alive?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
budrecki said:
So let me get this right....you have left you fish exposed to deadly levels of ammonia for 4+ days as an experiment?

I would hazard to guess that your fish have at this point sustained irreversible gill damage, there by, shortening their life span considerably(assuming they live thru this little experiment)

What should I have done, you ask? A series of water changes until the ammonia hit close to zero, then add the biospira. Tank cycles, fishes live, everyone is happy. Bingo!

Now that we have established your knowledge of fish keeping in quite low, would you like some help keeping your fish alive?
Budrecki, judging by past encounters with this guy, he doesn't care what anyone has to say. Best just to ignore him.

watermelon

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
budrecki said:

You dont know jack about how Bio Spira works..You go on and attack me and when a new tank cyles, the level will hit 6 or 8 in ammoina..I been keeping fishes for 10 years compared to yours, how many? If I did a water change, all the Bio Spira will be gone and this cycle will be killed off, you genius..And by the way, the reps at Marineland who makes Bio Spira would say after Bio Spira is put in DONT CHANGE THE WATER FOR THREE WEEKS! You think I am going to listen to you? Yes, it is better of fhat I ignore you and you igore me!!

And by the way, before you shoot off you friggen mouth, I did do a water change before I added the Bio Spira and it did nothing to the ammoina!And if I did water changes for days on end, the cycle would not be faster..

We are back with the trolls at aquariacental, I am ready to feed you!Been in this board since 1998..My handle been lost because the mods said they lost a lot of members due because of a change over but same old aquaricental, where punks like you all think you know it all and are above people..

Dam I fed you trolls good, didnt I?

Last edited:

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
It's Deja Vu all over again!

Wasn't this discussed (almost the same topic) about a month ago?

watermelon

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
budrecki said:

Amquel detoxs ammonia and also ammno chips detoxs ammoina...That is for short term relief for the critical cycling period, genius..Also salt could be added for high nitrites..Anything else you want to tell me or is it better that I ignore you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store