my black shark keeps attackin my betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Why do I keep reading crap like this? Yes, we are taking fish out of their natural environment to put in glass boxes. This doesn't mean we should cram them in tanks too small for them to live a nearly natural life. Many fish in captivty have a better chance at life than their wild counterparts. They have better food, no natural enemies (if we choose their tank mates wisely) & lots of fresh, unpolluted water to swim in. There is no reason they can't grow as large or even larger than they would in the wild. It is our responsibility to try our best to give them the healthiest life possible. If we can't, then we don't belong in this hobby.

AsaPW

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Lafayette,LA
Why do I keep reading crap like this? Yes, we are taking fish out of their natural environment to put in glass boxes. This doesn't mean we should cram them in tanks too small for them to live a nearly natural life. Many fish in captivty have a better chance at life than their wild counterparts. They have better food, no natural enemies (if we choose their tank mates wisely) & lots of fresh, unpolluted water to swim in. There is no reason they can't grow as large or even larger than they would in the wild. It is our responsibility to try our best to give them the healthiest life possible. If we can't, then we don't belong in this hobby.
Yes, you're right. But, all of out tanks are too small for a school of minnows whether one wants to admit it or not. All of our fish would much rather not be in our glass boxes of water if they had a choice. I think they'd take their chances in the wild.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I have a pair of 18 year old elephant noses. Do you really think they'd have lived that long in the wild?

AsaPW

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Lafayette,LA
I have a pair of 18 year old elephant noses. Do you really think they'd have lived that long in the wild?

Hey, probably not. But they sure would've had a much better life in the wild if it were even 4 years. They've been stuck in a glass box for 18 years. What a life. :)

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
If you really feel that way then why do you keep fish at all? I don't get it...

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Pufferpunk, as to what happened to the Black Shark, it was in the tank for three days and early this morning was found to have a fungus of some sort on it's throat, mouth and face, including one of it's eyes. It was swimming upside down, so we dosed the tank with meds, but didn't seem to help much. Was a gradual downhill decline, eventually it died, so my brother flushed it. His betta (which he is yet to name) will be returned to my brothers tank once the meds have cleared up and there is no sign of the fungus returning. (And if I think it's ready to be put in)

And thank you AsaPW, for not grinding us into the dirt.

Also, to most other people, instead of just posting on this thread and telling us how you think our tank is overstocked, has supposedly incompatibale fish and making us feel like idiots, try maybe giving some advice to us, instead of pressing our buttons. Not meaning to sound harsh or rude or anything like that, just stating the fact some of you just seem to be critising us when I'm sure you haven't got absolutely perfect tanks.

We know we have large fish and a very odd assortment of them aswell, as we've been told by family members that we have the oddest collection some of them have ever known. But there is really only one way to find out for yourself if fish can go together or not. I experiment every now and then with my bettas, and sometimes do the same thing to the largest tank.
All fish that are in there now are healthy and happy, even more so when they get their tank infected with live daphnia, mosquito lava and blood worms :)

AsaPW

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Lafayette,LA
If you really feel that way then why do you keep fish at all? I don't get it...

Same reason that you do. Just because I see the reality of it doesn't mean that I don't like the hobby. Heck, I've spent thousands of dollars on it and I'm positive that you have also. I do what I can to try to make them comfortable, but I also never flame anyone about having fish that'll get way to big for the aquarium size that they have unless it is just unreal. What she has isn't completely overboard. If you look at the picture she posted, in no way does it look too cramped.

I completely agreed with you about the guy who had a way overstocked tank on that youtube.com video and I even left him a comment. I told him that the tank would be cool if it wasn't way overstocked.

We all have our opinions. I don't call yours crap, so I'd appreciate it if you would respect me in the same way. Too late for that now, but in the future would be fine. You've helped me alot when I had just started off, so much respect to you.:)

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ok, so with the black fish gone, the topic is pretty much over. Rather than let this go further off topic and possibly begome offensive (if not already), let's just move on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store