My blue mystery snail laid eggs this morning!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Becca...where are you located?

Mar 9, 2007
Illinois

Mar 9, 2007
Why do you ask, RWilliams?

Mar 9, 2007
Here's some more photos, Day 5.

IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0024.JPG

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
Looking good!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Yep, you've got it. The lowering of the water level encourages the snails to lay the eggs, like mine did, on the side of the tank instead of under the lights where the eggs will eventually dry up from being burned.
You're so smart. My snail has been cruising around by the top lately... wonder if it's looking to lay eggs? :eek3:

I have one snail that likes to cruise straight down the side and will loosen up near the bottom and drop to the gravel. Once though it started to drop from near the top and stuck back on near the bottom. It was just too cool.

Sadly one of my snails got stuck between the heater and the corner of my tank and died. That one never really seemed healthy too but I'm sure it died because it was stuck.

Q

Mar 9, 2007
Does it look like it should? I know they're supposed to darken up, and it looks like it is. =) This is my first clutch, I hope it hatches!!

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
i used to have 3 golden apple snails (and 1 blue one) and they would constantly mate and lay eggs above the water line. I would sometimes save a few large clutches and wait weeks for them to hatch but they never did. Here are some tips from a fellow user gena575 on apple snail egg care:

"Yes you can leave them where they are. You could also gently remove them and place them in a diy hatchery if you are a control freak like me My diy hatchery consisted of 4 strips of styrofoam and a square of plastic craft canvas siliconed together to make a little clutch raft. (www.applesnail.net has lots of ideas in their DIY section) I floated that in a lidded square tupperware. I put that on my light strip so it would stay nice and warm. It took from 13 days for them to hatch IIRC. You'll notice a moldy gross look to the clutch when they are nearing hatching. Ah heck, lemme just post some pictures This clutch was mailed to me so it is 2-3 days old in the first pic."

The DIY nursery

Here the clutch is 11 days old and near hatching

Hatching in progress

The resulting baby snails

Hope this helps. I love apple snails and Im probably going to get them again in the future. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store