My bolivian rams spawned (2 pictures)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
I am reactivating this thread to give you an update! :D

2 of the 3 bolivian ram babies survived after all. :thm: The biggest is about the size the adults were when I got them, the smallest is about half its size. I am very proud that I was able to bring them so far, and they are healthy, beautiful and obviously well adapted to my aquarium.

Lately, the aquarium had gotten so crowded with plants that I had to change the layout. Before, the mopani wood (where my bolivians laid their eggs) was in the center with a beach in front of it, they was a hideout made of 2 rocks on the right size and on the left side there was a huge java fern on a rock.

The java fern roots always clogged my filter's water input, so I decided to move it to the right side. After a good vacuuming, I also took away some plants and the rock hideout (there was not more space of it, but I used the rocks to make the decor) and put the mopani wood (that I had taken out and rubbed with a toothbrush, because it was so covered with algae that even the otocincluses didn't want to eat it!) on the left, facing the left side glass. The beach is now a lot more open, without the risk of it become crowded last the last time.

It seems that the bolivians like the changes I made, because my couple has dug a huge hole in the beach and is cleaning (there wasn't much left to clean... hi hi) the mopani wood. They chase the fish that dare adventure too close to them and their vents appear swollen. All these signs make me believe that they are about to spawn... Yay!

This time, though, I will let nature take its course, because my aquarium cannot take more than the existing bolivians. I'm still very excited to see this miracle happen again in my aquarium. :hearts:

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
What a great thread! The pics of the little ones is priceless! Now if I can get mine to pair up...The male has only been in the tank since Monday and the female is Bi#*h!

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
Thank you! :D

The eggs hatched yesterday morning, now the babies are in their swigglers' state. The parents are good vigils as always. I'm going to feed them baby shrimps so they get a chance to eat something too.

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
The babies are already swimmers! :D This is so much fun, I never thought that I would get a couple that would be so prolific!

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
The babies have all been eaten since the last time I wrote and then... What do you know... The parents were aggressive again lately, and I noticed this morning they have spawned AGAIN! :22_yikes:

The babies are in their swigglers state. I think the fact that I'm leaving the lights out for most of the day lately (because I'm having a problem with my neon lights) might have had something to do with it?

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
Well... It's been a while since I last updated.

Since then, my couple has spawned 1 or 2 times. I don't know what they did different the last time around, but they were able to protect their babies better and a few (4-5) are still alive. There is A LOT of algae in my aquarium at the moment, maybe they were able to hide in there and eat microorganisms inside it. They are about 1/4-1/3'' in lenght and are beginning to show colors on their side and back fin.

Another surprise! The 2 babies that I was able to bring to adulthood (read previous posts) are... another couple! They spawned for the first time when my main couple (their parents!) last spawned, so there were 2 spawns at the same time in the aquarium. The other fish were not happy! :shakehead: They had very little space left. The young couple looks like they are pretty good parents too, very defensive and efficient.

My main couple laid eggs yesterday, but they didn't choose the mopani wood this time (their usual spot), they used a flat rock.

That's it for now. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store