My brig laid a clutch!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Thanks everyone...was looking at the difference side by side...def getting darker.

Kerry121774

AC Members
Mar 2, 2010
RI
It's very exciting!!! I never had any and woke up one morning to two! One was fertile and the other not! They hatched after about a week in my DIY incubator (idea supplied from here) I have little snails EVERYWHERE! Good luck!!

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Thanks Jeff and Thanks Kerry, that is what I am hoping for. This Sunday will be the one week mark so we will see how it goes. :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
it could take up to three more weeks for it to hatch, but with the amount of colour change already i'd say less than that.

i personally leave the clutches in the tank and let nature take its course. never had a bunk clutch out of 7 generations of snails.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would guess this one would hatch at between 10-12 days with the progress its making. I have never had one take longer than 2 weeks that was fertile. Especially since its being incubated, I would guess sooner rather than later with the controlled humidity.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Ahhh... a fellow snail lover in Columbia!

Humidity is a big factor. In my main tank I'd leave them where they were laid and they would hatch out. Had a lot of success until a mysterious snail crash that killed all my briggs in that tank without affecting any other species (and there were 7 species of snail in the tank at the time). Not sure if it was some brigg only disease- or if there were some trace element in the tank that was only high enough to hurt briggs but not spixis, tylos, rams, bladders, etc...

A couple of their babies had been transfered over to my invert paludarium where they are now alive and a'layin eggs (along with some new comers).

I've had much less success in the paludarium... and I think it's because there is no glass lid so it stays less humid... that, and they keep laying eggs 12 inches above the water level... I thought they were all infertile until I scraped them off the glass and discovered that the inner eggs had hatched (and presumedly starved poor things)- whereas the outer eggs appear to have dried out and died long before hatching.

Next time they lay a batch I'm going to have to incubate.

I did get a handfull of young rescued from the last batch they laid- but I don't have space for another tank- and with Spixi in the tank I doubt any/many will survive to adulthood without being eaten... I need a larger batch for any to get big enough to get past the eatable stage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store