My DIY 125 Stand Build, Lots of Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Hey everyone. I posted a few pics in another thread, but I figured I'd start one specifically for my DIY 125g stand that I built based off a similar design I saw elsewhere on the net. I've got a new 125 on the way(no luck with CL) so I got moving. Its made of oak plywood and lumber except for the inside floor and top, which will be hidden anyway. I used a kregs pocket hole jig for most of the fastening areas. At this point all I have left is to hang the doors, put the top trim on to hide the bttom strip of the tank, and stain.

IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0395.JPG IMG_0397.JPG IMG_0398.JPG IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0403.JPG IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0408.JPG

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
Hey... I like it, and I'm a cabinettemaker myself.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very nice work! Love the pocket screw connection. Have a similar stand put together the same way. I have added the sliding trays to most all my stands...makes getting the canisters in and out easy.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Thanks everyone. I have really enjoyed building this. If you have some mechanical ability and time, it really isn't that hard. I usually am a metal melter(welder:)), but this is my first real foray into wood. Anyway, to answer all of your questions. Cost I would say is somwhere around $250. That doesn't include a few tools that I needed. But it's still much less than what they want for the generic stands and for what any oak furniture would cost I guess! As for the pocket holes, yes I used the Kregs pocket hole kit from Lowes. I used the Jr kit($40) as recommended by the person on the other site. The master kit is $100 and I couldn't justify the cost for what's in it. As far a the sliding tray goes, I added that for my 10g QT tank to go underneath. I never even thought about using them for the cans. I may consider adding a second now, at least for my FX5 :)! I have one piece of oak ply that will fit perfectly for that!

JimL

I know just enough to be dangerous
Mar 28, 2009
Silverdale, WA.
Good job. Can't wait to see it finished :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store