My DIY CO2 went live today.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TLe041

AC Members
Jan 17, 2010
Canada
You might want to give champagne yeast a try. I did and will never go back to baking yeast. It starts producing CO2 within an hour and lasts for 2-3 weeks.

SiNiStEr

AC Members
Jan 11, 2010
feel your yeast bottle or should i say see if you can squeeze them. If they are hard to squeeze because of the CO2 pressure. Then check your lines because you got a blockage somewhere.

here's a link to my DIY CO2 and the problems I had with it. using 4 2 liter bottles, 2 bottle is link together and the other 2 link together. So I have 2 CO2 input in my bubble counter and 1 output. I do have 1 check valve on the line that running up to the tank itself. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232164

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I would think if you just take the stone off under water you should be able to see if the Co2 is making it to the tank. If it is then there isn't enough pressure to push it through the stone. If it's not then you have something blocked somewhere down the line to the bubble counter.

I haven't used DIY but I would think the logical thing is to work backward???

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
Oh... and I believe if you raise the airstone higher towards the surface it creates less back pressure, if you find the Co2 isn't blocked. A wood stone might help as well instead of the one you are using.
I took the stone completely off and moved the tube towards the top of the tank today. I started the 3rd fermenter. I honestly don't think it is a clogged/pinched tube. I am worried it is the pressure. We may have to go to the 4th.

Plants seem to be doing well, the Madagascar Lace is putting up new leaves.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I have found that I have issues with silicon...so I changed my methods. You might have a leak somewhere but this is what I do.. From another Thread:

I thew that system away (silicon base) and had an epiphany...Just like Doc slipping off the toilet, hitting his head and dreamed of the flux capacitor, I saw my reactor and gas seperator in my head.

So I bought

The clear pieces.. 1 (1) gallon of Hawiian Fruit Punch, 1 Vit Water. I drilled 1 hole in the top of the punch and 2 in the top of the Vit water (gas seperator) Inserted the clear connectors and used SUPER GLUE (gel)

Here is where my problem was and WHY I wasnt getting bubbles. Originally I bought 1 kind of Yeast, well the store ran out and I had to use another kind.

I had to buy this

HOPE this helps your problem.

tharsis

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
Yeah it really sounds like you have a leak somewhere. There definitely should be enough pressure to push through the airstone if sealed properly.

With that many bottles there are alot of potential leaks. I have 3 x 2L bottles running on my 46 gallon and I had alot of leaks at first. I suggest blocking the outlet and squeezing the bottles to see if air is escaping somewhere. And the as was mentioned above, superglue the connections, and for good measure silicon it as well.

One other thing, you may want to consider building a reactor to make the CO2 dissolution more effective.

Also the rapid rise yeast is good for getting a burst of CO2 but it burns out quickly and you will find that you need to mix batches much more often.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store