My first 29gal Fowlr

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I do a 5gallon water change every other friday.
What a difference in how people do water changes.. On my 29G I had a sump, remora skimmer, refugium, AND I did 5G a DAY in water changes for 5 years straight. I can see the film on the surface of your tank, you definately have high DOCs in there which is feeding your hair algae and keeping your water quality low.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I found my used aqua c remora skimmer for $100 with the surface skimmer box, which is what I paid for the seaclone brand new. Honestly I'd try to find a used skimmer rather than getting the seaclone, I mean it did ok at first and then a month or two later I had to keep adjusting it or it wouldn't pull any skimmate at all or just pour microbubbles into the tank.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
What a difference in how people do water changes.. On my 29G I had a sump, remora skimmer, refugium, AND I did 5G a DAY in water changes for 5 years straight. I can see the film on the surface of your tank, you definately have high DOCs in there which is feeding your hair algae and keeping your water quality low.

I'm gonna start doing it every friday again, there should be no excuse for not doing them more frequently but I still live at home and my parents are kind of against me getting an RO/DI unit it's not so much the unit but storing the water will be the biggest problem. And the LFS that I used to go to was literally 5 mins down the road but they're really shady every time I went in for just water they'd try to upsell anything to me and the last time I went I asked for fresh and after he filled one bucket he says "you wanted salt right?" after correcting him he shorted me about a gallon on my other buckets and when I check the "salt" water the salinity was only at 1.014. So now the only LFS I trust is 20 miles away.

Oh yea and remind me what DOC stands for

st0l1

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
DOC=Dissolved Organic Carbon. ie decomposed fish waste, food, etc.

Once a week water change is mandatory IMO. I understand what you are going through with your LFS. A LFS here doesn't even change their RO membranes or DI resins but once a year, if that. I got that info from one of the employees I became close with. You really have to be careful buying water from an LFS. Never buy premix either...do it yourself, but I see you already figured that one out. Good luck.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I've been doing weekly waterchanges and the gha doesn't seem to be growing as fast then again i pull as much as I can each water change. I added a frag of xenia about 3 weeks ago and I also picked my first sps frag and placed it at the highest point I can in the tank. Also added a maxijet 1200 for more flow, the frogspawn's don't like it too much, right now I'm still tinkering with the placement.

Here the surface agitation with the maxijet pointed at the preskimmer box

And I don't know if I mention my temp started to get higher than I liked so I added a fan which has brought the temps down around 4 degrees.

And lastly my procillopora frag for $5 that I picked up last week and so far it's doing great.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I gave the tomini tang away today. I new would have to eventually, and I also wanted to lighten the bioload in the tank. Now I'm down too 2 clowns, 2 green chromis's, a yellow watchman goby and a lawnmower blenny. I'm gonna give the chromis's away and then I'll be comfortable with my livestock. Right now my tank is very peaceful and everyone gets along lovely.
All the coral are doing great in the tank my procillopora is looking the same so that's a good thing. Oh and the gha has really subsided now I just have a tad bit on the far right rock and on the powerheads.

paulhoff

AC Members
Feb 10, 2009
England
nice tank, im starting my first salt water tank at the moment just waiting that long 4weeks for the cycle. the only thing that is worrying me is the algae you have, would that be clear if you didnt have such a disliking of snails as i like snails and starfish but really dont like the algae. like the pics too think we'll do the same keeps a good timeline record. keep up the posts i look forward to reading more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store