My first 29gal Fowlr

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I'll do some research on how to safely raise the ph and then go from there. As of right now I only have the API sw master test kit and that only has test for the basics ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. I found out the large one are hydroids, and I think the medium ones are copepods and the small ones are way to small to even make out a shape on them.

It's awseome to come home and find something new in the tank I feel like I'm the first person on an uncharted planet making all sorts of new discoveries every day:D

If my ammonia and nitrites continue at 0 I may add a percula clown later in the week

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I found another hitchhiker this is proabably the coolest so far

It's just snail, I'm hoping you guys can fill me in on what kind.

And my pair of clowns are doing awesome, they ate this morning, and are very active exploring the whole tank. Ammonia still remains at 0.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
:mad: Another green chromis is missing as of this morning. Something had to be eating these guys, this is the third one. Every fish was accounted for last night before I went to bed and none were behaving abnormally. Before I went to bed I checked the ammonia levels and they were at .25ppm which I was a little concerned about then I checked this morning before work and it's back at 0 and still at 0 now. The clowns are still doing awesome so thats a good thing.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Those are some of the clearest pics I have seen of a clown. Great job! The snail, by seeing the "snorkle" seems like a nassarius snail. Shell seems different though, so could be a cerith snail or even a bumblebee snail. No matter what, its a good thing to have. At night look at your tank with a red light, or a flashlight with a red filter, and you should see quite a bit of new little critters running around. It is a whole different world at night in a saltwater tank. Definately an exciting experience in the beginning.

Just keep up the diligence of testing your water, do regular water changes with good water, and you should be good. Unfortunately, green chromis are known to kick the bucket quite a bit. There are many reefers in my club who like to have 12-15 in their larger tanks as a nice schooling fish, but usually loose 3-4 a month all the time. Just something that happens with them.. In groups they always seem to find the weakest link and stealth kill them when you least expect it.

You may be going a little fast on your setup though. Too many fish too quick IMO. Did you use anything like Superbac to start cycling your tank? Having that many fish in your tank while your trying to get the initial cycle started is very very hard on the fish. The clowns may make it, but may get sick in the process, but the green chromis probably won't handle the cycle from my experience.

PH, don't worry about it too much. If you use good water and do regular water changes the PH will be fine. PH also fluctuates depending on time of day/light schedule. On my tank in the morning just before lights on my PH can be as low at 7.8, but at the end of the day before lights off it will be at 8.3. Just a natural fluctuation from everything in the tank reacting to the light. PH fluctuations really matter more with SPS corals, LPS, softies, and fish can handle it much better.

With your hydrometer/refractor test, yes, that is my exact experience as well. Just get the hydrometer tested with the refractor and use a sharpie on the hydrometer to mark exactly where 1.025 is.

Fireworm, I would buy a bristleworm trap and catch them.. definately not a good thing to have. Bristleworms are fine, and good to have IMO, in low numbers. They are great cleaners, but look more pink, fireworms on the otherhand will eat many corals.

As for your nitrates, I would say don't let them get above 40, if and when it reaches that point, do a good size waterchange, 25-50%.

Do NOT get a mandarin. It won't make it in your tank no matter how many pods you throw in there. Those are very expert fish, even the most experienced reefers I know have all had problems getting them to live more than a year, even in a 7 year old, well established 150G reef tank. Those fish shouldn't even be sold in this hobby IMO. The price is low that most people want them, and they are some of the nicest looking fish color wise so I understand the temptation, but you would litterally have to throw in 2 bottles of tiggerpods a DAY to sustain a mandarin. That is $50-$60 in food a day in a FO tank without a refugium. Mandarins will eat a copepod once every 5 seconds if given the chance.

Last edited:

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Do you recommend I start doing water changes now or should I wait a couple of weeks? And is 5 gallons a week enough?

I didn't add any chemicals to aid in cycling, just the live rock and sand, I was under the impression that my tank was/is cycled because when I added a raw shrimp and left it in the tank the ammonia and nitrites rose to .25ppm and the next day they were back at 0 other than that and when I first added the live rock (ammonia rose to .25ppm) the ammonia and nitrites have been at 0. I waont be adding another fish for a week or so until I'm sure that the tank is stable, so far so good though.

With my hydrometer since it read at 1.027 and the refractor read at 1.023 can I just subtract .004 and that'll give me an accurate reading?

I'll have to look into a bristle worm trap, I definately want to add some corals to my tank in the future.

So far Nitrates are holding steady at 20ppm.

Your right about the mandarin, the colors are amazing on it an when I saw how cheap they I thought it'd be a nice addition to the tank. For now I'll leave it to the more experienced. How about the yellow watchman gobies? I plan on adding a firefish and then a goby of some sort, would I be overstocked then? The green chromis are most likely coming out if I'll be overstocked with the other fish I mentioned.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Well, when I had my 29G reef setup, I was doing 5G a DAY in water changes to keep the water parameters good and that was with a well established sump/refugium. In smaller tanks it is much harder to keep water quality good enough to support some of the harder corals. For fish and softies corals like zoas, mushrooms, xenias, and star polyps it is ok to do a 5-7G a week water changes, but if and when you start to move up to LPS corals then water quality really starts to come into play.

It usually can never hurt to do a water change as long as it is done with good water, ie, RO/DI freshwater and a good saltmix. If you buy pre-mixed saltwater from your LFS make sure you know how often they change the membranes on their RO filters and don't be afraid to ask them to show you the TDS reading from their RO water. Should be zero or as close as possible to it. Some LFS tend to not change filters as frequently as they should and you can get bad water from them.

It is ok to just subtract the .004 like your doing on your hydrometer.

Usually, on the first cycle, it takes a few weeks (3-4) to complete the cycle. Ammonia and Nitrites should not go up and down as quickly as you are seeing. It should be a slow rise of ammonia the first week, then slow decline as the nitrites slowly rise. Around the 3rd week your nitrites should fall and then you see a rise in nitrates. That is the time you should do the first big water change. From what I am reading, it appears you have had a "mini" cycle, which is still good to have, but that doesn't build up the bacteria in the tank to the levels you would ideally want. Your tank will still mature, but it will take a little longer than normal. When you put in a bunch of fish (more than 1) during the first month, the waste the fish produced can't be broken down fast enough by the good bacteria in the tank to keep everything happy. Think of it in terms of a landfill without enough bulldozers to keep it clean.. if you don't have enough workers (bacteria in this case) to handle all the trash trucks dumping loads of trash in the landfill, it will quickly pile up and then it is much harder to get the landfill back to its smooth running operation.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
In this tank if I do add corals it will only be softies, so for now I'll stick with weekly 5 gallon water changes.

Right now I'm buying pre-mixed water from my LFS, so I'll have to ask them about it. I also need to look into my own RO unit.

Today is actaully the 24th day the tank has been running. I'm hoping I didn't just have a mini cycle, if I did will my ammonia and nitrites still rise to dangerous levels during the "real" cycle. And by the way thats probably the best analogy I've read explaining the cycle.

Thank you for helping me along this process, hopefully my eagerness in getting fish in the tank doesn't lead to dead or permanently damaged fish.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I added a koralia nano to hit the dead spot behing the LR where the diatoms are really thick. Also added a heater and a blue background.

I noticed that water started turning a little cloudy last night, I know that's usually a sign of a rise in nitrites but when I tested the water this moring around 10am my parameters were still good (ammonia and nitrites still 0 and nitrates still 20) Any other reasons for my tank to be slightly cloudy. You can notice a bit if you look in the top left corner in front of the skimmer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store