My First 75G SW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
in my opinion, an auto top off is a good investment.. especially if you might be away from your tank for a couple days at a time...

instead of making water daily to top it off with, just fill a small resivoir near the sump, and depending on your evaporation rates, that could last days-weeks

nycsicktank

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
nyc
i need some input on what clean up crew i should get.

i was thinking to get:
20 nassarius snails
30 bumbee snails
10 astrea snails
10 cerith snails

-why do crabs eat snails?

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
i need some input on what clean up crew i should get.

i was thinking to get:
20 nassarius snails
30 bumbee snails
10 astrea snails
10 cerith snails

-why do crabs eat snails?

Astrea do a good job but like to end up tipped over and die if you don't go rescue them.

I heard bb snails aren't that great.

I love Nass snails, they are my fav. However most of the time they just hide out in the sand.

I haven't had to much luck with cerith. They end up worse than the astrea.

Crabs eat snails because they either need a bigger shell and couldn't find one in your tank or that they are hungry and aren't getting enough food. They are oppurtunistic feeders and if they are hungry they will find easy prey.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Your tank looks good...what do you have as a sump (subtle hint for pics)? :)
Robbie

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
what do you have vorlx?
I have about 5 astrea, 3 Mexican Turbo Snails (large), 25-30 Nass snails, A few Cerith.

I used to have alot more Astrea but they just get turned over and die, the Cerith I thought didn't have this problem but it ends up they do as I have noticed most of them just end up on there back all confused. When I rescue them they are good to go. I lost my original 3 turbos the same way.

If I could keep everything alive I would have the following:

10-20 Astrea
30 Nass (pretty much what I have)
10-15 Cerith
3-4 Turbo Snails (close to what I have)

I also have 2 emerald crabs, 1 short spined urchin, 5-6 Hermits (would like to be able to maintain 10-15 but they don't seem to live long), 1 decorator crab as part of what I consider my quasi clean-up crew to be. Most people stay away from crabs in reef tanks due to there oppurtunistic nature of feeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store