My first discus fry batch

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You know, everyone has different experiences...I have a discus cone given to me by a breeder that thought that they didn't work for him & his discus. He thought the newly hatched fry that fell to the curved cone edge were too hard for the adults to pick up, so they gave up. Then there's the whole hole in the top versus no hole issue...crud catcher or aeration area? Good luck, it seem like you are taking very good care of them & adapting on the fly. Keep up the pics too, please.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:cool: Bravo!! Continued success! "T"

Flavius

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Bucharest
12 days old. Still not going for the BBS. I also tried frozen cyclops and dried baby food, no luck. At the same time they seem to feed less off of their parents. Should I be worried? They seem fine.

How many days should I grow BBS before serving? Are they good right after hatching? They are really small day one, but should be visible to the fry.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
At about 8-10 days they should be eatting BBS. If you can fine some, micro worms are good too.

PS--Bare bottom tanks are better for breeding discus. Are you doing lots of WC?? What temp is the tank??

Flavius

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Bucharest
I do have a bare bottom. Two WC and siphoning per day. 29C = 84F

Flavius

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Bucharest
Found a dead fry today. A few more facing the corners, close to the surface, kind of inactive. Bellies seem full. They still not going for the food. However most of them are still attached to the parents, eating off of them.

Are my fry starving to death or is the slime coat enough to keep them going for a while?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
are you using 'aged' water?

Flavius

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Bucharest
Yes, I let the water rest for half a day before WC.

I found another 4 dead fry and a couple more showing the same inactive behavior, looking kinda numb, floating away from the flock. Their bellies look full though. Or is it a sign of bloating, dunno.

Still not going for the freshly hatched BBS. I definitely put enough in the tank, I can see them swimming all over. Dunno, are they too small for them to see? Or they just too lazy and stick to the slime coat?

14 days old today. Still have around 50 fry.

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Yes, I let the water rest for half a day before WC.

I found another 4 dead fry and a couple more showing the same inactive behavior, looking kinda numb, floating away from the flock. Their bellies look full though. Or is it a sign of bloating, dunno.

Still not going for the freshly hatched BBS. I definitely put enough in the tank, I can see them swimming all over. Dunno, are they too small for them to see? Or they just too lazy and stick to the slime coat?

14 days old today. Still have around 50 fry.
By now they should be eating bbs 2 weeks is around when they start. Feed them it 3-4 times a day small frequent portions.

Flavius

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Bucharest
3 more dead this morning. I'm losing 3-4 every 12 hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store