My First Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newpatch36

Registered Member
Aug 27, 2010
Good on ya

LD,

Great work! It took me a while, but I just breezed through all 33 pages of this post. The composition and aesthetics of your tanks is amazing, and the fish are always complimentary.

I'm just now starting my own planted tank, albeit on a much smaller scale and lower tech for now. Couple quick questions. Do you have a routine for introducing new plants to the aquarium (i.e. washing them in warm water or anything)? Also I love the tree like affect created by growing plants on the redmoor wood. What plants would you recommend for that? Thanks, keep up the good work.

Nic

Last edited:

LondonDragon

AC Members
Oct 1, 2005
London, UK
Hi "new" glad you enjoyed the journal, I have enjoyed my journey so far also, I just need to step it up a notch and start from scratch again, think I have taken this tank as far as it will ever go. I am now considering going low tech also, just too busy to keep up with water changes and pruning ;)

New plants I just usually wash them to try and remove snail eggs if, but most of the time I just chuck them straight into the tank. If you have only fish then its not usually a problem, but if you have shrimp you have to be more careful, some plants from the far east are dipped in some chemicals that can be fatal to invertebrates.

The plants that work well on wood and usually mosses, the plant you see on the branch that sticks into the middle is Fissidens Fontanus.

Cheers
Paulo

d&a

(o_O) (o_o) (O_o)
Jul 20, 2006
NYC
:eek:mg: ... wow, the threadfin rainbows & the aquascaping is gorgeous! I'm loving the aquascape & the fins on the rainbows in the video.

LondonDragon

AC Members
Oct 1, 2005
London, UK
Was sent a few PMs regarding what happened to this tank, this tank is still going but not with the same scape, it was rescaped in early 2011!

Still went on for a little while:

But after a heater incident that basically boiled the whole contents of the tank, I had no choice but to start again, and now don't run any heaters on any tanks anymore!!

I then started a Iwagumi in this tank, here it is on day 1:

And 6 weeks later it looked like this:

Month later:

Video: http://vimeo.com/23820732

And a couple of weeks more:

The rocks turned a very light colour so I stopped cleaning them and gave it a more natural feel:

Couple weeks later:

Due to lack of time and work taking over the tank started suffering:

And eventually the HC had to go:

And slowly started turning into something else:

And now looks more like a Jungle than a Iwagumi :)

Not sure what is going to happen next as my scapes tend to merge from one thing into another! Might get a new tank soon and start something else long term ;)

Thanks for looking :)

More info can be found here: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14998 (please remove is not permitted to post links to other forums)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Very nice. I actually prefer the jungle look this tank progressed to.

ADM

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
Australia
wow... Just read the large majority of this 33 page thread. What a journey! Looks like you have become the master of the planted aquarium LondonDragon! Love it ;)

LondonDragon

AC Members
Oct 1, 2005
London, UK
wow... Just read the large majority of this 33 page thread. What a journey! Looks like you have become the master of the planted aquarium LondonDragon! Love it ;)
Many thanks and glad you enjoyed the journal :) I think growing plants is the easy part, aquascaping is the more tricky side of the hobby ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store