• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stealie

AC Members
Jun 15, 2017
usa
Real Name
Mae
Camera Used
iPhone 6
Hello! I'm rather new to full tank setups and thought a site like this would help me learn a lot. That being said can I get some opinions on how I want my first real tank to be set up? It's gonna be kinda long I'm sorry

So I have a zebra danio glofish (mtn dew) in a 1.5 gallon right now so that it was easier to transport her back to school. I'm going to upgrade her to a 10 gallon and add some friends (2 more zebras and 4 tetras and maybe some shrimp or a snail if that would be ok) I was thinking this for a setup but has a few questions
•aqueon 20 filter and replacing the carbon with a second sponge
Do I need to replace the sponges ever? I know they harbor the bacteria so should I just lightly wash them off the the tank water I take out during water changes?
•tetra 100 watt heater
Good brand?
•marimo balls
If I do get shrimp and or a snail will it just eat them?
• does tetra safe start actually help the cycle start faster?
•I was thinking of adding a handful of gravel from my current tank she's in to help too
•if I do use the safestart and some old gravel how long should it take to cycle and I'll safely be able to put fish in?

Thank you so much for any help and advice!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Welcome to AC!

In a 10g I would suggest sticking with 1 group of fish. Since you have a glofish, 6 glofish with some shrimp and a nerite snail or 2 would be good. Danios and most tetras prefer to be in groups, 6 or more is minimum. In this size tank you'd have to choose between the two.

Only need to replace sponges when they start to fall apart. Rinse in tank water, good!

Tetra is not a favorite of mine (or one I see recommended often). Haven't bought a heater in a LONG time but my next one will be an aqueon pro I think. Others will have more suggestions.

Shrimp will not eat your marimo ball. Be warned that they are a type of algae and are know to spread. I've had it happen myself but it is SO slow growing and pretty I did not find it to be a problem at all.

I have no experience with Tetra Safe Start but not a fan of bacteria in a bottle in general.

If you were to add a bunch of the gravel (and use tetra safe start) the tank should be ready for more fish very quickly. A test kit will tell you exactly when that time is. BUT since you only have the 1 fish right now I would suggest you do a fishless cycle in your new 10g and then you can add all the fish at once when it is ready. This is much easier on the fish and it avoids having to add a couple fish at a time possibly introducing new pathogens or parasites. Still use the gravel or filter media to seed the 10g though.

stealie

AC Members
Jun 15, 2017
usa
Real Name
Mae
Camera Used
iPhone 6
Thank you so much! I thought zebras and tetras would all school together but thinking about it now I realize that was silly to think lol
I'll probably have about 7 of them I think and I'm glad to hear shrimp and snails will be ok!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Hello! I'm rather new to full tank setups and thought a site like this would help me learn a lot. That being said can I get some opinions on how I want my first real tank to be set up? It's gonna be kinda long I'm sorry

So I have a zebra danio glofish (mtn dew) in a 1.5 gallon right now so that it was easier to transport her back to school. I'm going to upgrade her to a 10 gallon and add some friends (2 more zebras and 4 tetras

What kind of tetras? There are hundreds and a lot of them won't be suitable to a 10 gallon. Neon tetras would be ok as danios can go low enough in temp for neons to be happy, but zebras can be a bit nippy. You might be better off just adding 4 or 5 more danios and having a good school of them.

and maybe some shrimp or a snail if that would be ok

Snails would be better, shrimp reproduce quickly and the danios will eat the babies, but if that doesn't bother you cherry shrimp would be ok. If you get snails go with mystery snails or nerites. Mysteries lay bright pink egg sacs that are easy to remove and nerites can't spawn in fresh water.

I was thinking this for a setup but has a few questions
•aqueon 20 filter and replacing the carbon with a second sponge
Do I need to replace the sponges ever? I know they harbor the bacteria so should I just lightly wash them off the the tank water I take out during water changes?

I would suggest aquaclear filter rather than aqueon. The aquaclear is a better quality filter. If you go with the aqueon definitely use the sponges made by aquaclear/fluval and not the filter cartridges. The cartridges do have to be replaced as they fall apart. The fluval sponges don't have to be and can be squeezed clean in tank water when you do a water change.

•tetra 100 watt heater
Good brand?

Tetra isn't really that great, but they have a life time warranty and I've never had problems with the filters. Just get a good in tank thermometer (no the ones that stick on the outside of the glass) and monitor it regularly.

•marimo balls
If I do get shrimp and or a snail will it just eat them?

They won't eat them, but will eat the debris that will accumulate on them. Also, the moss balls need to be taken out and squeezed every couple of weeks to keep them growing healthily.

• does tetra safe start actually help the cycle start faster?

No it really doesn't. Its the cheapest version of biobacteria and I don't believe it works.

•I was thinking of adding a handful of gravel from my current tank she's in to help too
•if I do use the safestart and some old gravel how long should it take to cycle and I'll safely be able to put fish in?

It will probably take about 4-8 weeks to cycle. Get a good liquid test kit (API is my preferred) and test the water while you're cycling.

Thank you so much for any help and advice!

Reactions: stealie

stealie

AC Members
Jun 15, 2017
usa
Real Name
Mae
Camera Used
iPhone 6
Oops I meant aquaclear sorry
Thank you so much for your help!

zoomed.com