My fish all died!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
"No one ever suspects the butterfly." But in fish terms: "No one ever suspects the guppies."

thecowman

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
Visit site
Well, Petsmart people aren't to bright.."So you had 4 Zebra Danios and 4 Zebra Pl*cos, right? Ok, here are your fish" haha..what a steal that would be. But like I said, bad karma for you and your fish!

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
So if my pH is now 7.0 and the store's pH is 7.4 to 7.6 than the fish would die?? I just want to understand everything.

brianfl

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
I really doubt that small of a change. When I fist started keeping fish, I had some from a store where they had a ph of about 6.6 and mine at home was over 8. They swam for a while but then suddenly died. Probably within 20-30 mins. I learned my lesson. In any case a gradual change usually doesn't cause problems (except for sensitive fish) but large fluctuations can be distastrous. I have had danios in all sorts of conditions and they have always seemed hardy. Every once in a while. a fish store will get a bad batch (diseased or weak) of fish in. You may have just gotten unlucky.

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
See that sounds like what happened to my fish though. They swam for 20-30 mins and then all died! I'm definitely just checking everything before I get new fish, I think I would give up on fish if I had to deal with another batch dead.

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
My boyfriend's danio lives in plain tap water now since it has been acclimated. Maybe I should have tried his? lol. What do you think is the most resiliant fish?? Maybe I could try introducing this fish to my tank first?

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
My pH has been stable a little above 7 ever since I added the pH 7.0 solution to my tank three days ago. Do you think it will be okay to add my danios tomorrow?? Any suggestions or precautions I should take?

fishdude

so i says to the guy....
Jun 11, 2003
winchester VA
Visit site
originally posted by yashin fan
The people at Al's know a lot more than say, Pet Smart. Pet Smart people are actually the most unknowledgeable people!
At my local petsmart there are two people with degrees in marine biology and they always answer my guestions in detail. so i guess it depends on where you live

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store