My Geophagus aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erik333

AC Members
Feb 25, 2012
Philadelphia
i'm in the process of setting up a Geo-focused tank as well. Mine should be ready in a few weeks but installation has already begun. what is your substrate and what kind of lighting are you using?

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Hey, I am using mostly pool filter sand with some larger gravel pieces mixed in to provide a bit of weight for the plants. The more dominant geos like to move the little pieces of gravel around so it works out pretty well.

I am using the finnex planted plus lighting fixture, its 48" long and it keeps all my plants growing nicely at around 8-10 hours a day. usually 8 but sometimes I forget to shut it off, the plants don`t seem to mind. no complaints with the lighting system its extremely cheap on Amazon and it comes with a moonlight too so you can still observe your fish without disturbing them too much.

I also have an aqueon powerhead as Geos do require a lot of flow and oxygenation. If you can find Geos in your area I recommend giving them a go, I`ve kept everything before, Marine, Brackish, CA cichlid, African Cichlid, Monster fish like Snakeheads, Pacú and Gar. I can honestly say that I get a lot more enjoyment out of watching my geo aquarium, theres always something going on and they are so peaceful. Plus the thought of how beautiful they will be in about 18 months time always makes it better.

Erik333

AC Members
Feb 25, 2012
Philadelphia
Thanks for the info on the lighting. I am also planning to use pool filter sand. How deep do you have the sand and do the Geos dig up the plants a lot? I'll look into that lighting system. I did plan to get LED's. I'm planning to get a few small groups of Red Head Tapajos, Jurupari, Altifrons, Winemilleri, and Steindachneri. I also like Guyanacara ***ei. I'll have some angels and plenty of rare plecs.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I ingeniously rubber banded the plants to tiny rocks and burried them in the substrate. I haven`t had any geos uproot the plants yet. it sounds really simply but I`ve had no issues with it yet.

My geos are most likely Altifrons but for now its still a guess unti lthey get their adult coloration, I have kept Guinacara ***ei for a year before I lost them in October. They are extremely slow growers but very hardy and will hold their ground to more aggressive species. they act exactly like Geos sifting the sand.

I currently have Tapajós, Alitifrons, jurupari and Heckelii, I have kept Guinacara and steindachneri before and honestly I can't envision any problems with them working out together. Steindachneri tend to be a little more on the pushy side but they only really tend to have a high conspecific aggression. Always good to get a group of them. if they breed they will guard the territory aggressively but then again any geo species spawning in a geo aquarium will defend their territory well.

I read angels make perfect upper level inhabitants for geos, My only worry would be overfeeding the angels as they get to the food first, Personally I have bad luck with angels becoming over fed. so in so many words your stocking sounds like it would make the perfect display! i am really looking forward to seeing you set it up, you should make a progress thread

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
considering how this is becoming an update thread, Just snapped some more pics, the Altifrons types are starting to color up nicely, maybe soon I can ID them.

plus this new guy

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Its a Red Ceibal, theyre a uruguayan cichlid. Picked up a potential pair from a wild import batch. From what I read they are in the greater Heroine (severum like) group. They behave a lot like little yellow elongated chocolate cichlids

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I should have known that. I kept and bred them a few years ago.

They are a cooler water cichlid. They do well in water about 70-72 degrees. Color changes dramatically when they are breeding.

Interesting thing about them is that they are "fry hangers". The eggs are laid on a flat rock but then the fry are lifted up and "stuck" to a vertical surface. In my case they used a big piece of driftwood.

Cool fish but they may appreciate a cooler water temperature than the Geo's would like.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store