My girlfriend got me an early x-mas present...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
I'd do 20-25%.:)

Good luck and hope everything goes well.
Wow... daily? How many tanks do you have? If it weren't for the parental limitations... I'd have MTS like mad... but then I wouldn't have very much time for my gf between work and fish keeping. (haha... I just noticed that you said "I'd" rather than just "I," implying that it was a suggestion and not listing what you personally do :silly:) I'm a little surprised to hear 20-25% daily... mostly because the websites I've read (NEVER trust everything on the net...) suggest 25-30% 3 times a week, but I have no intention to skimp out on maintenance. I want this fish to be healthy and happy. :grinyes: Oh, and thanks for not jumping on me for only having one atm. :p

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
You'll be surprised most discus breeders do even more than that on daily basis. I have 5 tanks and I do daily on three tanks but those ones are not that large anyway.:)

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Hahaha... wow... seems I am getting myself into a lot of work, but they are definitely worth every bit of effort in my books. They are absolutely beautiful fish... incredibly peaceful and even awe inspiring to watch. I could lay on my bed and watch discus for hours at a time... to heck with a tv, I'd rather have a giant discus tank! :p What is your take on 3-4 discus in the 55 Lupin? Think I can pull it off? Or would it be wise to just see how this one does as a centerpiece and let the tank be?

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
3-4 for a 55g.:) Your discus will enjoy the company of others.
I won't be able to upgrade this tank for a long time... if ever. -_- Think they'll be happy as adults in a 55 with say a dozen cardinals, 6-8 harlequins, and 5-6 cory cats? (haha, sorry for all the troublesome posts on here, if you have AIM, feel free to message me. My sn is in my user info)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I won't be able to upgrade this tank for a long time... if ever. -_- Think they'll be happy as adults in a 55 with say a dozen cardinals, 6-8 harlequins, and 5-6 cory cats? (haha, sorry for all the troublesome posts on here, if you have AIM, feel free to message me. My sn is in my user info)
That's fine to me.

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
I have kept discus on and off for about a year now. I started doing water changes once a day until I learned that it can be a waste.

I now have 4 discus in a 72g. I feed three times a day(feed four when they were younger) and I water change every two or three days. They follow me around and seem to be doing great. And they do much better with 3 or 4 or more. A 55g is big enough easily for five or six. Although they need open swimming space, tank size recommendations are sometimes more aimed at keeping more stable water parameters. In a 55g, I would do more water changes because their is less volume and it will possibly be less stable than a 75g or larger.

Good Luck

*edit* remember the more other fish you keep, the less discus you can probably keep. So with corys and tetras, you may want to keep the number around 4 like mentioned earlier.

destined_love7

Aquariaholic
Sep 27, 2007
I'm in the same boat. I'm 31 and staying with my grandmother (after a divorce). I was content staying here and helping her until I started this hobby. I now have 3 tanks in my bedroom, her 1 in the living room, and I REALLY want more. I keep getting these really good offers for a 55 but I have NOwhere to put it. Now I'm looking for an apartment. lol

Temo

Joshie BaoHuu Tran
Jun 27, 2007
Grand Prairie ,Tx
Real Name
Joshie BaoHuu Tran
awsome looking discus, remember do alot of waterchanges!!! recomented everyday,

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Aim at a minimum of 100% water turnaround weekly. More w/c will only help. He does look a little skinny so feed a lot and clean the gravel a lot. Do not worry about the pH and temps more than keeping them consistent. Discus do not like change even current differences will aggravate my fish.

I sternly believe you can keep Discus alone or with other fish; they are kinda boring to watch alone. They will always do better in schools of 6+. You must be careful of disease. Yogias recommends deworming once a month. I do not do this unless my fish begin to look emaciated. All new Discus should be dewormed and watched for illness. Angels are ok with Discus but you must deworm those fish as they do not get affected as bad as Discus and you may not even know they have them.

Currently my show tank has 6 Discus (4 Leopard Snakeskins and 2 reds) 6 corys and 1 bulldog pleco.

OH YEAH! BUY YOUR FISH FROM A BREEDER!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store