My guorami has "bumped" his head what should I do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cotswool

AC Members
Jun 5, 2013
Hi guys, I noticed today my blue gourami has "bumped" his head on I imagine an ornament I do have other guoramis in the tank but have never had an aggression problem. He now has a white patch on the top of his head about 5 mil round. No sign of infection as yet, but I would guess it is a recent accident as I keep a pretty good eye on them. I am unsure as to whether I should up the temperature (currently 28 degrees - due mainly to outside temperature being 35+, it is normally a little cooler) or decrease the temperature which could prove difficult. Should I do daily water changes and if so what amount (76 US gallon tank with 4 adult guoramis, 6 danios, and 3 pygmy corys), or should I medicate the tank as a precaution? Unfortunately my quarantine tank is unavailable, so I would need to treat whole tank. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Seeing that it is a gourami you may want to quarantine him in a rubber made container or 5 gal bucket and treat him. I think the spot is more likely something other than an injury.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I've had fish get bumped, scratched, scraped, and even burned and did nothing outside of my weekly water changes and the wounds heal. I kept a close eye on them looking for signs of disease just as you've stated. A white patch sounds like a sign of disease. A salt bath works for bacterial infections as well as the many medications on the market. To be on the safe side, I agree with quarantining the injured fish, the remedy is up to you but I'd recommend 1tsp aquarium salt per gallon for a week. Drain half the water and replace it with fresh water and monitor for another week. If it's a small infection site, you should see positive results.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I've had fish get bumped, scratched, scraped, and even burned and did nothing outside of my weekly water changes and the wounds heal. I kept a close eye on them looking for signs of disease just as you've stated. A white patch sounds like a sign of disease. A salt bath works for bacterial infections as well as the many medications on the market. To be on the safe side, I agree with quarantining the injured fish, the remedy is up to you but I'd recommend 1tsp aquarium salt per gallon for a week. Drain half the water and replace it with fresh water and monitor for another week. If it's a small infection site, you should see positive results.
i kinda agree with this. I don't have the best advice on this stuff, but I'd just do uber clean water and maybe salt baths if it isn't too much of a hassle to chase/catch the fish. maybe some salt in the water if it's too much to catch it... but a gourami shouldn't be a tough netter

And remember, fish may act differently when you're around, so make sure you watch them incognito if you really want to know if there is aggression

And a quarantine/hospital tank seems ideal, but we're not always set up for it until we've regretted not having it a few too many times.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

my life saver

use it like this...

remove the shower head in your bathroom and put on a 5/8" female npt to 3/4" male hose thread adapter onto the pipe and a 3/4" female hose thread to 5/8" male npt adapter onto the shower head. then you can attach and remove the shower head by hand and attach a hose there. it'll look like this...

to fill the tank you turn on the hot water and let it out the tub faucet until it's up to it's full temperature. then match the water temp by adding cold water. once the water temp is matched, you can turn on the shower and let the water through the hose to fill the tank.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
that hangy thing is awesome. are most PVC glues safe?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
as far as i know, yes. they have to be safe to provide potable water in households with pvc plumbing.

and for houses with tanks of variable heights, we can make that hangy thing of adjustable dimensions...

not to mention, your garden will absolutely love the extra nutrients. :D

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^awesome. Making this next measly college paycheck.

To the topic, my fish hurt themselves from time to time. Only real medicine is good water quality :)

cotswool

AC Members
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks for all your thoughts, decided not to quarantine as did not want to stress him out any further. Have done daily water changes and it appears to be starting to heal, certainly no sign of infection. Fingers crossed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store