My knee-deep dive into plants - 55g planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
I haven't posted in here in a while, but I am battling high nitrates. I have thoroughly vaccummed the gravel, rinsed out the filter media, and have done 50% water changes and nearly stopped fertilizing my plants (only dosing at wc). I have 2 HOB filters (Tetra Whisper60 and Aqueon 55/75). My normal wc is 25-50% weekly. It seems like the plants are taking off quite well, which is why it suprises me that the nitrates are still so high. My last water change was on Sunday and I checked it this morning and it already 40ppm.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
40 isn't anything to get too overly concerned about. Have you tested your tap and seen if that is bringing anything in intially? Do you know when you hit 40? Is it 40 at WC day as well? Could be it is just the natural equilibrium point for your tank.

Another good nirtate sponge is pretty much any floater. Dwarf water lettuce, red root, frogbit, the dreaded duckweed...all of them are really good at pulling nitrates out.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Tap is 5ppm I think. I only am concerned because it is only 48 hour after wc and already 40. I'll test more frequently and see what happens right after a wc. It has gotten up to 60ish before wc.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Recent pic. uploadfromtaptalk1350054968710.jpg
I'm still not getting the red color that some of the plants should have. I started using API Leaf Zone and I have pin holes in some leaves, but that could be the snails....
Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1350054968710.jpg

Unikorn

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
seattle,wa
As far a ferts go I'd suggest dry ferts. They are the cheapest route, with the premixed liquid ferts you are paying for overpriced water and ferts :) You could add Iron and see if that helps with the red coloration of the plants you want. Are you dosing Macro and Micro nutrients? I'm sorry if I missed that info in a previous post, just curious.

Unikorn

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
seattle,wa
Also for the snails, why don't you add some sort of copper based meds. Inverts can not tolerate heavy metals and would kill them off, you would have to move your nerite for a few weeks after the copper meds are done to make sure there are no residual meds left in the water or silicone.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
I have been arguing with myself about dry ferts for awhile now. I think I'm about to give in, I've just been scared of mixing and such.

As far as snails, I also have rcs so I can't do copper. Been trying to remove them manually.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
Go dry ferts, before i had a CO2 tank dump into my tank I couldn't see the fish in it. Dosing was not hard, I did mine into a wet/dry filter I would recommend not going straight into the tank mix them outside and dissolve them in some tank water then pour that water into the tank. I had a Co2 regulator not do what it was supposed to do.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?238170-The-rebirth-of-a-tank

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store