My nearly 3 year old fed my 10 gallon about 1/2 a pack of Crab Cuisine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
He just dumped what was left of the package in the tank, totally unbeknownst to anyone yesterday. I fed the tank last night too - a few algae wafers for the snails and a pinch for the four pseudomugil furcatus I had.
I woke up to a totally cloudy tank and two dead fish and most of the snails at the top of the water line. I've done about a 90% water change - about 50-60% as soon as I saw the problem and another round about 5 hours later. I've had these fish a few years and really liked them.
I know the little guy did it because there were some nuggets of food around the tank on the stand and a few on the floor. Dang kid! URGH. We had a talk about how the fish get really unhappy if they have too much food and it can make them sick. I didn't want to guilt him about the dead ones, not that he really grasps dead at his age. I try to be so careful to keep things out of his reach. He got it out of the upper door shelf in the freezer. Little stinker!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
Oh, and the the lights are on a timer and were off when I fed last night, that's why I didn't see the mess he had created. I feel really bad for my fish that died!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
My girlfriend's 3 1/2 year old does that. I'll come over, look at the tank and then "you know you have a few dozen krill floating around?". Convincing the kid not to do it sort of became a lost cause, so the solution was just to try to keep it away. It's sort of a arms race, as the kid figures out how to get the food and we figure out new ways to keep the food away.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
My ex's 6 yr old poured a whloe 10.4 oz can of tetra color bits in my 55 one night and I didn't find it until the next am. Luckily I didn't lose any fish and two consecutive water changes later it was all cleaned up.

Mark

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
see...thats why i have a bunch of modified fence less yard collars in my house with a perimeter lined out around my tank. If you're under 18 and you come into my house you're wearing one...and if you get anywhere near my tank you're getting the everloving crap shocked out of you:mad2: :swear:

urastupidchimp

AC Members
Mar 16, 2011
at least it was fish food...My mom tried to keep a couple fish tanks in the house when my sister and I were little. I think they got orange soda once when they were thirsty, and a fried chicken leg because they were hungry...she gave up shortly thereafter.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Take your rings off, turn your hand over, and introduce him to the back of it :) Lol JUST KIDDING!!! Totally kidding. 100% kidding. I have terrible humor. Anyways...can't be too angry about it though, kids are kids haha.

:cheers:

reefdiver

AC Members
Oct 1, 2010
Arkansas
Real Name
Rene
maybe you can leave a a little on the side for him to do it that way he satisfies his need of doing it. Or you can go with rufioman said.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store