my new 55 gallon-er! and questions too

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sleepyskater

Gotta have my Barbs!
Dec 27, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
If you do go with Tiger barbs and a Betta it should be fine.
I know Female betta's are sometimes a little dull but, if you got a male betta with the Tigers the Male Betta might harass them!

:D

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
i have a male betta in with my tetras in a 55 he loves the room

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Okay, number one. I've heard of people having bettas in with their tropical fish. Would that be okay in a tank this size, assuming there are enough hiding spaces? Just wondering.
Depends both on the betta and the fish he shares the tank with. He might be e little psycho, or they might be fin-nippers. I wouldn't keep a betta with tiger barbs; they're much more active than bettas and I would be afraid the betta's long fins would be too tempting for the barbs, even if they were in a school and mostly picked on their own.

dog_gone07

Feesh
Jan 2, 2009
CT, USA
I also got one of the top fin kits for a gift, but mine was a 10 gallon. The heater that came with mine was NOT submersible. If it says "water line" on the glass portion, I would be careful. I did update mine to a fully submersible Stealth heater for my tank.

Kevin S.

Barb Wired
Jan 3, 2009
Derry, NH
I also got one of the top fin kits for a gift, but mine was a 10 gallon. The heater that came with mine was NOT submersible. If it says "water line" on the glass portion, I would be careful. I did update mine to a fully submersible Stealth heater for my tank.
The heaters that come with these kits are submersible. The water line indicated on these are the MIMIMUM water line. If the water goes below this level your are at risk of having an exploding heater. Just thought I'd investigate a little because your questions made me look into my own. This is why it is pictured horizontal and submerged on the box.

69steveo69

AC Members
Jan 20, 2009
I have purchased the same tank kit. I took the suctions for the heater and placed them farther down on the heater and was able to suction it to the glass without an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store