My new 55 gallon Mbuna setup. [pics]

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Glad you found some socolofi. I would get more than just 2. Also eggs spots are not a very accurate way to tell gender. Both males and females have them. I would think males could not have any, my male acei only has 1. I guess you could add one johanni. I have a single demasoni in my set up. Just make sure he behaves with the rest.

Winterymix

AC Members
Apr 7, 2009
Definitely getting more socolofi. Really like their personality, their shape & fins, and their color. They have that bull dogish shape to them when they flare, kinda like a blue ram.. love that. Got my 10 gallon setup with the Julies in it today. Will post pics of that in another thread later :)

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You are doing a good job Winterymix! Just remember our suggestions about having in a 55gal 3 groups of different species and to increase the numbers to 5 or 6 fishes of each species. This is the best you can do to keep the aggression more controlled.

justinf67

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
the johanni at the lfs are more than likely mainganos. most lfs tend to mislabel them. if they are small and have any hint of yellow, then it will be a johanni. they morph as juvies from yellow to blue and females stay yellow. so most stores have maingano due to both male and female being the blue color... I loved the socolofi as well, I had one that I had to get rid of. I do have albino socolofi though, and I love those guys. they are spunky as hell. my 3.5 inch mbamba is dominant and the albinos are 2-2.5 inchs and dont take any crap from the mbamba. they claimed territory and defend it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store