My new 65 Gallon Planted Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
Thank you!
Believe it or not, all the plants and fish were previously in a 37 gallon tank (30" X 12" X 25") then moved to the 65 gallon tank (36" X 18" X 25") it took me 8 hours to move everything! I'll post the sequencing of the moving it all next for those who might be interested in knowing.

Last edited:

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
1 I rinsed the new Flourite gravel 4 X's and filled the new tank to 1” with new (rinsed) Flourite Substrate.

2 Placed a 25 gallon plastic tub near the new tank and siphoned 15 gallons of water from main tank into buckets to fill the plastic tub, when just under half the water from the main tank is reached I stopped and place the submersible heater in the tub.

3 I carefully removed all the plants and floated them in the tub
Filled the bucket 1/3 full of old tank water and begin catching the fish. I covered the driftwood with a medium plastic kitchen trash bag

4 I then removed 2/3 of the flourite grave from the 37 and placed it in the 65 and then topped it with 1" of new flouite gravel.

5. I filled the new tank half full of water (33% distilled to 67% tap water) brought to the same ph, temperature and hardness, then added the remaining established tank water. I then place the new submersible Heater in new tank and placed the two filters and ran them for half an hour.

6 Began to landscape with plants and driftwood, terrain going no deeper than 3” and no shallower than 2” in the front, then the rocks, I then allowed the tank settle and clear with the filters running another hour.

7 I Transferred 1/4 of the tub water to the new tank . Compare the temperature and PH of the new tank to that of the tub water. The I began taking a gallon of the new tank water and poured into the tub with the fish then took a gallon from the tub and poured it into the new tank. I continued until the parameters were exactly the same.

8 I then netted all the fish one at a time and placed them into the new tank and transferred the remaining water from the tub to the tank and filled to the top with new water. Placed the light fixtures and turned on one light so I could observe the fish for the next couple hours.

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
My wife had me agree to take down the 37 gallon tank if I wanted a larger tank and a 65 gallon tank was the largest she would agree to. In the end it all worked out, because I was able to maintain a fully active biological filter by transferring all the contents and the Eheim filter from the established 37 gallon tank.

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
Thanks for the compliment! I decided to add two new photos since I installed a new light fixture on the tank yesterday. It's an Aquatic Life T-5 HO Light Fixture with 2) 39 Watt Bulbs = 78 watts. This is in addition to the T-5 Coralife Aqualight Fixture with 2) 21 Watt bulbs = 42 watts that I already had on the tank. Total is now 120 watts for 9 hours on my 65 gallon tank. I'm hoping that's not too much light! I figured with the tank being 25" deep and that I am lightly dosing Seachem Flourish every 5 days and Excel every other day that it would be appropriate. I would appreciate any experienced thoughts on the amount of light in this particular situation.
65 Gallon Tank with New Lights2.jpg65 Gallon Tank with new lights.jpg

65 Gallon Tank with New Lights2.jpg 65 Gallon Tank with new lights.jpg

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i think you have plenty enough light now. are you grass plants vals, i ask this because they will need a organic form of CO2 to use (excel will not favor them)

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Nice find. If the plant you have centered is commonly called a melon sword (looks familiar to whats at my local pet store) you may want to move it out of the center. As it transitions from emersed to submersed and settles in they can get quite large. If it's something else then never mind =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store