My New Addition

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I did a lot of looking around online and I found many sources saying that the eco earth was fine to use. There were a few people who said they had problems, but most said they have used it without incident. may I ask why you feel it is a bad choice??

It's just that it's sort of messy and when the snakes travels around the tank it's going to get eco earth in the water and what not. Aspen bedding is cleaner and lighter so the snake can bury it's self with ease (in the wild this species spends a great deal of it's life underground).

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
It's just that it's sort of messy and when the snakes travels around the tank it's going to get eco earth in the water and what not. Aspen bedding is cleaner and lighter so the snake can bury it's self with ease (in the wild this species spends a great deal of it's life underground).
I will try the aspen and see if I like it, but if not, barring I make sure to keep the water dish clean and make sure he isnt ingesting anything, do you see any problems as far as health with the eco-earth? Are there any other natural bedding materials/substrates I could look into? I really want to keep the habitat as natural as possible, thats why I love the eco-earth. I fell in love with it when I used it for a shrew I was fostering through the winter. Its just like dirt and the shrew was readily able to burrow and make intricate tunnel systems in it. So, when I had to pick up something for the snake, it was the first thing that came to mind, but I am open to suggestions.

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
tonight we are picking up a 55gal for him. I know thats a big big, but as long as I have lots of small hiding spots for him, its okay, right? He really likes to explore so I figured when hes not curled up under a log, he might appreciate the space. Anyways.
Im looking at temp guns.. does this look good? Pro Exotics Infared Thermometer Temp Gun PE1
And what about this thermostat? Zoo Med Repti Temp 500R
Also, Im thinking of getting a ceramic heat bulb rather than using the day and night bulbs we already have. Is that a good idea? Is the heat output better? Will they just plug into any lamp fixture like [these] for instance?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Exotics-Infrared-Thermometer-Temp-Gun-Many-Uses-PE1-/130453665743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5fa4f7cf

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
Got Some Pics!

Only day two and already I lost him! I had him with me, he was curled up in my lap under the blanket and next think I know, I go to get him for pics and hes gone. Tore the whole place apart trying to find him! I finally did find him safe and sound, but I was so worried. Anways, here he is! Oh, and we decided on Zeus for the name. It was actually the first name that came into my head, but my husband said no because that was actually the name of his ex gfs python, lol. We spent hours looking at names but none really stood out to us, so he said fine, I could use Zeus. So.... Meet Zeus! Im not really snake savvy so I dont really know but I was just assuming hes a "normal". Tell me what you think. I dont care either way because I think hes beautiful no matter what you call him. In the vid I tried to get a whole body shot and a shot of his underside because I know some morphs have patterns on the belly and some dont. Anyways, thats my boy!

CIMG1082.JPGCIMG1083.JPGCIMG1084.JPGCIMG1086.JPG[video=youtube;GcnUQ5o5z3w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcnUQ5o5z3w[/video]

CIMG1082.JPG CIMG1086.JPG CIMG1083.JPG CIMG1084.JPG

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
We just fed him about an hour ago. It was a bit of work, but we finally got him to take it. (soaked in almost boiling water with beef flavoring in it.) I was a bit apprehensive at first but got into trying to get him to take it. When he finally did, I was in for a bit of a surprise..... is it normal for the prey to burst open and have entrails hanging out all the while being almost severed in half? Luckily I was able to handle it (my mothers cat used to leave multiple dead animals, rodents and others on the walkway every morning. It got to the point where they were not even necessarily whole. A head here, a body here, half of a body here, the other half missing, a couple feet, a pile of organs, a few tails scattered around, a but end with intestines hanging out.. you get the idea.

Anyways... it took him a while to get it aligned properly to start taking in, and then a while more to get it down. He then started making himself climb upwards (im assuming to help it go down). After it was down he started slithering around and is rubbing his face on things. I read that this could be to help re-align his jaw or wipe is face, does that sound right? Right now he has seemed to have settled down resting atop the log hide on the warm side of the tank.

Since it was our first time feeding him, I only ended up giving him the one mouse. The mouse was not really big enough for him though as once it was down in his body, it was not even noticeable. I would like to switch him over to rats as soon as possible but I will have to look around on how to go about doing so. In the meantime, for future feedings, should I offer him another mouse after he is done getting the first one down? Do I wait a day or so? :confused:

Anyways, I just wanted to give an update. I was very happy that he took the food! Not so happy about it being so messy though.....:headshake2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store