My new blue shrimp is pregnant!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
Those would be beautiful snails from Msjinkzd!

I found some black aquarium sand on ebay a few weeks ago, 50lbs for 35.00, I love the black sand, all my fish have such brighter colors now.

phreeflow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
Sooo....is the outcome that these blue shrimp indeed gave birth to non-blue offspring. I can't really see any blue on any of the grow outs. Is this normal?

I've never had blue shrimp so I'm not sure what is normal or not for them. For instance, I have Dark Green Shrimp and many exhibit reddish colors as shrimplets but start turning green as they get older...not all but most of them exhibit this pattern. Will the blues get blue with age?

I can't find the article but I've read that some of these blue shrimp have not been dyed but inoculated with a certain type of bacteria/virus (can't remember) that exhibits that bluish color in the shrimp. Supposedly, it's not toxic to the host shrimp but it also isn't passed onto the offspring either so the baby shrimplets end up looking tan with no blue on them.

Anyone else heard of this or remember the article?

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, I will have to say that the "blue" is not natural with these shrimp. The mortality rate was terrible. Out of 100 shrimp, I only got 1 shrimp to hatch eggs. I did weekly and many times 2-3 waterchanges a week. They just kept dying. These were wild caught shrimp.

I really enjoy their natural colors, hopefully my population will grow larger soon. The second generation is much more hardy. I have had all the young survive. Most of mine are not full grown yet, but they are already displaying some gorgeous markings.

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
The ones I have now are all tank born and raised. They do not have the strong blue the previous generation had, but I still think they are gorgeous!

I just bought some Malawa shrimp, unfortunately the breeder sent me tiny tiny tiny babies, I dont know how these guys could even fit into a net. Well, I put them in my 60g RCS tank, and have not seen them since. It has been 2 weeks. They were pretty when I did see them, so if you are looking for some blue shrimp besides the blue pearl, the malawa is a good option. I found a breeder on Aquabid. com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store