My new JD and GT need some Buddies, ASAP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bhalbeis

AC Members
Jan 11, 2008
I ended up getting 3 silver dollars. All is good for the time being. The GT has become less tolerable of the JD constantly chasing him and began to hold his ground. They seem amicable now, the silver dollars definitely helped out with that.

A few days ago (before the addition of the new fish), apparently the JD ripped a small part the GT's rear fin off, its only about an 1/8" that is missing from the top part. I was super pissed when i noticed and almost took the JD out but its has since become a much friendlier tank. Will this fin grow back? How long will it take? Is it possible that it may never grow back? Its too bad, the fin was beautiful with the bright red edging all around it.

Also I am getting small ammonia and nitrite spikes every other day, ammonia is always less than .25ppm but the nitrate hit .50 sometimes. I immediately get out the siphon and bucket and get to work doing approx. 33% PWC's. Nitrate is always good (less than 40ppm). I thought I was cycled but apparently not! Little bummed about this because I would have waited to add any fish whatsoever. The tank has been running for 4 weeks but I thought I was one the lucky ones that got cycled in 1 week with using bio spira upon set up. I didnt add any fish for 1 week, doing water test everyday for a week and I was always 0 with 20 nitrates. I added food as the ammonia source for the bacteria to feed. I thought I got lucky but it I guess not. I will not give up though, do WC's as needed so I promise these guys will make it thru this. Changing 24 gallons of water all the time is no fun though.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
buy a python. makes life so much easier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store