My new LED light kit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

speedykeys

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
I got this Cyron LED kit for $50 and am going to use it as a lunar light in the blue color, but I thought it would be cool to show what the tank looked like in the other colors too. It also came with 2 extra LED bars that I didn't want to put in the hood so I stuck them behind the stand to accent and it ended up looking really cool. The first few shots are with a 20k 150w metal halide, not the LEDs. I do have a question though, I can kind of control the wattage that I'm putting out for the lunar lights and I was wondering if there was some kind of general rule as to how might light the corals should receive at night? I want to make sure I'm not blasting them with too much light. When I woke up this morning and the lunars were still on, none of the corals seemed to be fully open like during the day so I'm thinking it's ok. The last picture is what the tank will look like at night and is how much light they will be getting. Thanks!

IMG_3719.JPG IMG_3722.JPG IMG_3723.JPG IMG_3724.JPG IMG_3730.JPG IMG_3731.JPG IMG_3732.JPG IMG_3733.JPG

speedykeys

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
Heres a pic of the light bars that I fit into the hood, and then the controller. When I said I could kind of control the wattage, it's because I can run anywhere from 1-4 light bars at a time. Right now I'm using all 4 in the hood (the top one got cut off in the pic) although the back 2 light bars don't really make it to the tank, they more light up the wall behind it and the sump area.

IMG_3737.JPG IMG_3738.JPG

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
. I do have a question though, I can kind of control the wattage that I'm putting out for the lunar lights and I was wondering if there was some kind of general rule as to how might light the corals should receive at night?
Corals don't need any light at night. Moonlights are generally for your viewing pleasure - I only turn mine on when the lights go off and I have company over. My moonlight states the following "The Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED (470nm) creates rhythmic glitter and shimmering effects. Its special luminance promotes lunar spawning cycles in corals and reef life" - I don't necessarily believe this. My moonlight runs at 1 watt.

speedykeys

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks for the compliments. Heres a daytime pic, as well as the first three pics in the first post.

IMG_3721.JPG

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
yeah, what I thought, 5mm LEDs. Good for moonlight but not so hot for regular daytime.

Nice reef, I hope to join you in the next few months, heh. Thats the 29g Biocube isn't it? I plan to put together a 15g cube myself. Though I have lots to learn before starting a reef, heh.

mickitaz

AC Members
Nov 20, 2008
lost somewhere in my head
Nice tank! Did your Led's come with the different colors? I love the color of the moonlight effect on my black sand. But using the other colors would be interesting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store