My New Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I'm trying to get her into zucchini, but she doesn't seem interested so far. So far she'll eat frozen bloodworms and the hikari sinking wafers. Usually only when its mostly dark in the room.
I've got a panaque and a BN, they BN will eat anything at any time...the panaque only touches wood, zucchini and wafers and normally only at night. That being said....with a bunch of vegetation in his tank, dark substrate, blackwater, floating plants and about a month to get comfortable he started being pretty during the day too.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It does not look like an L102 Snowball, the spots on a snowball are smaller on the head than on the body.. If it is an L082, then it is an algae eater. If it is a contradens, they prefer meaty foods. You need to identify her in order to be sure you're offering her the proper diet. and environment.

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
It doesn't seem to be an L82 -- I've offered it algae wafers and it hasn't been interested. It eats the sinking Hikari pellets that I give to my pictus catfish.

Contradens is a possibility.

I think it might be an L201.

It does not look like an L102 Snowball, the spots on a snowball are smaller on the head than on the body.. If it is an L082, then it is an algae eater. If it is a contradens, they prefer meaty foods. You need to identify her in order to be sure you're offering her the proper diet. and environment.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I would also think about a smaller cave for the time being. Plecos like to get into places where there is only room for them, and they feel safer that way. It looks like an L201 to me also.

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
Interesting. I'd be willing to switch out one of the 2 current caves for a smaller one -- do you have any suggestions?

I would also think about a smaller cave for the time being. Plecos like to get into places where there is only room for them, and they feel safer that way. It looks like an L201 to me also.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Lots of people use PVC tubes. Your clown loaches would probably like places to hide also. There are many people selling all different sized caves. Where are you located ?

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
I have 2 PVC tubes in my tank with the clowns. They use them sometimes -- I have a cool piece of driftwood in there and they usually hang out under it when they aren't swimming around.

I was just thinking that the PVC tubes will also be bigger than my pleco. She isn't very big. Maybe there are ones with a smaller diameter that I just haven't come across. I am in new jersey.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
i've got a kindof rock+driftwood pile in my tank that makes up a network of about 5 caves that either of my plecs can fit into. Its more natural looking than PVC and they both are very comfortable in the tank and healthy.

This is my pleco tank
2011-09-04_20-32-27_132.jpg

2011-09-04_20-32-27_132.jpg

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
Wow, nice looking tank Fozzy. How big is it and what plecos do you keep?

I actually went to my LFS to try to get some rocks last night, as I know plecos like rocks and driftwood as natural hiding spots (which is why I made those 2 caves out of rock). All the rock they had seemed too large and were VERY expensive ($3-$5 per pound). Any tips on where to get rocks? Is outside the best answer? If so, how would i make sure they are safe for Betty?

I did get another piece of driftwood, which I plan to somewhat intertwine with the current piece, to make more hiding spots. Its soaking in a bucket for the next couple days first.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
tank is a 50 breeder, and i have an flash panaque sp. (L204) and a white seamed starlight ancistrus (L183)

The biggest piece of wood in there was 5 bucks...mopani for a terrarium and its dense enough it sinks instantly and hard enough that plecs can snack on it for years...my guys love that wood. The rest of the wood is malaysian driftwood that i got from MG (bobstropicalplants.com) and the rocks i just payed overpriced numbers for because it was exactly what i needed.

For collecting outside rocks...if its free of sharp edges it should be safe. don't use anything that will buffer your water. For treating it for bacteria i always dip it in a bucket with a very high bleach mixture...leave it there overnight just to be safe, turn it a few times, then dip it in a bucket with dechlor, then drop it in a bucket with plain old water...test the water...if its free of chlorine you're set!:thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store