My New Pup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I'm thinking I'm going to try some basic leash training with just a collar and leash before trying the halti.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Liz, The Halti holds by the snout and the no pull harness is a harness. When they pull, they are automatically corrected because it pulls them to face you. I personally am im favor of it for two reasons, my dogs snout is too short and he hates having his mouth closed so much he will freak out.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I think maybe one of the reasons she is so strong on the leash is because the foster has been using a retractable leash... i can't see those being any good for getting a dog to behave on a leash. I think I will try the stop/go method with just a collar and leash and see how that works, first. She probably hasn't even had that kind of training. I'm actually looking forward to obedience training her some, too.

Knoxx

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Wisconsin
Nice looking dog.

I was wondering what that mix would look like after hearing Kevin Smiths story (not to listen to if youngsters are about) about his Dachshund and Labrador.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I'm not sure what you're referring to... haha

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
She's adorable :)

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
Well, she's being spayed today. I'll have her Sunday. I'm going to post some more pics once I get her.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats on your new dog! I also want to thank you for adopting. It may be a little more work in some training aspects but I do believe that it is very rewarding for both you and the dog.

BTW, I don't see the dachshund in her. Beagle maybe?

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
Kudos on the adoption, she's very cute. I'm sure she'll be your best friend in no time.

I think maybe one of the reasons she is so strong on the leash is because the foster has been using a retractable leash
Retractiables teach such bad leash behavior. Other posters have mentioned the gentle leaders and I would fully endorse it. Have a 60lb, very energetic 18 mo old pup and she does real well with the leader. It does take a bit of getting used to (for the dog), but it does deter the pulling for sure.

Good luck.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Adorable pup! Congrats on getting such a cutie! I had a 45 lb cocker spaniel, all muscle, that pulled me like a bull on the loose and loved to run full speed on the leash. I kept the end of the leash on my right wrist to hold on to her. I never changed to a harness or forced her to stop but I should have. Eventually the pulling damaged my right wrist resulting in some temporary damage, separation and swelling inside the wrist and excrutiating pain and several cortizone shots to see if that would heal it. If the cortizone shots hadn't allowed it to heal the doctor wanted to do surgery. That's when I forced her to stop. Luckily the shots and stopping her from pulling on me allowed it to heal. Took a few months though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store