My New Stendker Discus Have Arrived!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Most of them don't seem to be. 2 are just kind of hanging out in the back, but still have normal coloring. I will give them a couple of days now before I go taking more pictures or bothering them too much besides water changes and feeding.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Ok, tell me this is normal. This morning I have gradually made it lighter in the room, first a lamp then an overhead light, then another, etc. until I turned one of the lights on the tank. The group of discus swam from one end of the tank to the other and back. Once they got back to the other end (the lighted end), 1 layed against the glass, another flat on the bottom. The other 5 swam around a bit more and were hanging around together, fins open, looking great.

I fed the tank a small portion of food. The fish that have been in the tank all came over to eat. The discus did not. Then after just a few minutes all of the tetra are at the surface with their noses up and 2 of the discus are doing the same. The cories are fine as well as the Rams. I am paranoid and get a aerator and add a small stone to the tank just in case. I think they were getting tiny bits of food off of the surface, but I have always heard that discus are bottom feeders so I am a little worried. A total of 5 of the discus have gone to the top and hung out a while with their noses up, but are now back down swimming around with their fins spread wide open. The 2 are still over at one end of the tank on the bottom kind of leaning on the glass. All of the fish in the tank appear to be breathing harder than usual, but I could just be imagining it! Everyone has great color- the rummies noses are red, the rams have all of their coloring, the new discus all have their colors- the 2 have the same color as the others except still have stress bars. They have not darkened at all.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Sounds like the 2 are still stressed from the trip, as for yout fish being on the top - they do come up to eat if thats what was going on then you should be OK. I would watch them close and give them a little time. The Air stone was a good Idea IMO. Remember I am a noob!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets see what the proe's say about all this.

Grats on your new fish.
Arkangel77

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sounds like they still startled when the tank light came on They are blind when that happens and they freak a bit. Ummm, I'm thinking this was before the sun came up Snoop?:grinyes:

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The reaction will always be like that, it never changes. This is one of the biggest reasons I am totally against manzanita type of wood in discus tanks or even malaysian driftwood if it's got a stick out piece. This time of the year my timer on the discus tank is set at 6:30. By then there's daylight in the room and they just kinda sink down for just a few minutes while their vision adjusts to the tank light. We have to find you something to do between 4:30 AM and 6:30 AM besides peering into the discus tank!:lol2:
Because of the discus, I now keep a decorative lamp on all night long in the living room about 4 feet away from their tank. It takes three 15 watt bulbs. We're still walking around past the tank after their lights are off at night, and I have to walk past them several times in the dark before I leave for work at 5:45 AM. Sometimes they sense the movement past the tank and in a split second they think predator and dart for the other side of the tank blindly in the dark and slam into the glass. If a neon darts across the tank, it'll probably stop before it reaches the other side...not an issue. If a large discus darts.....it could kill them. One on my walks past the tank this morning even with the night light on caused one of them to do a huge whooooooooooooosh flop through the water. Your heart skips a beat when you hear this!

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
I have a moon light string that has about 6 lights working on it that I can put on top of the tank if that will help them. I didn't realize they had that much of a problem with light. I haven't had them dart. Thank goodness! I was good this morning! I waited until 530 or so before I started turning on lights. Tomorrow, I promise I will wait.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
And they will go to the surface sometimes for food. Especially if they are chasing the errant bloodworm! But they are mostly bottoms feeders. Sounds like yours were hungry this morning...good sign!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store