My New (to me) Metaframe Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Bad news. It leaks:(.

Normally all I would have to do is resilicone it. But unless I am mistaken silicone will not bond to slate. This means I will have to get a piece of glass cut to either replace or cover the slate bottom. Right?

The slate bottom already has been resealed (sometime before I got it) with silicone but is not leaking. The leak is coming from the very top portion of the tank.

So is it really true that silicone won't bond to slate? It seams to be working on this tank.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Thanks for the help:).

I am probably going to get some "GE Silicone I window and door" tomorrow (hopefully black) and use it to reseal the tank.

This will be my first tank reseal, got any tips?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've read that sometimes very warm water left in the tank will soften the old dried out sealant in metaframes & seal leaks. Might be worth a try first.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I've read that sometimes very warm water left in the tank will soften the old dried out sealant in metaframes & seal leaks. Might be worth a try first.
I thought about that but it looks like someone already resealed the tank using silicone and it seams to be leaking from the siliconed area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store