My New Venture into Iwagumi!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Thanks!

@ dundadundun: Do you think it's going to be necessary to add iron in at all?
maybe, but it is in plantex too. usually in root tabs also. if you wanted to make your own root tabs you could put a little in there. if so you'd need red indian/mexican clay and mgso4 (magnesium sulfate aka epsom salts) as well as the dry ferts, but then you're covered all the way around for a good amount of time.

teij_tseng

AC Members
Mar 25, 2010
Have you tested your source water yet for ph, kh, gh, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates & possibly even iron?
I use a really simple (and probably not extremely accurate) test kit made by Jungle Lab (6-1 and Ammonia Strips). I realize they're not as accurate as drops are but that's about all I can use at the moment. Unfortunately, I don't have a test for phosphates or iron. My readings on my tap are coming out to:

Ammonia: 0 mg/L (i'll have to look up the conversion to ppm later)
Nitrite: 0 mg/L
Nitrate: 0 mg/L
GH: 150 ppm
KH: 180 ppm
pH: 7.2

I also have the Discus Buffer made by Seachem that I plan on using as well so those conditions are most likely to change.

maybe, but it is in plantex too
Oops. Just noticed that in the breakdown as well. Haha stupid me.

teij_tseng

AC Members
Mar 25, 2010
Plants finally came in and I've planted the tank and filled it up with water. While putting in my DIY filter, the hose barb on the filter intake came off so I still waiting for the glue to dry on that atm :wall:. In the meantime, I have my old school Marineland Penguin 170 on it.

teij_tseng

AC Members
Mar 25, 2010
Well, figure you guys mite want to see some close ups so here they are!

Left side of the aquarium.

Right side of the aquarium.

teij_tseng

AC Members
Mar 25, 2010
Just some minor updats on the tank. Added 2 more pots of dwarf hairgrass and changed the intake of the filter so instead of having a normal intake, I've made a spraybar style intake that's pointed upward to create a vortex and hopefully catch some of the floating junk on the surface of the water.

Picture's not the best of quality but you can kind of see the vortex.

Just an updated picture of the tank with the 2 additional pots of dwarf hairgrass.

Once again, I apologize for the poor picture quality. Unfortunately camera phones don't have the best cameras :uhoh:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
looking sharp teij_tseng!

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
very nice looking layout and tank, i would add some java fern to the background, the tank will look great once the dwarf hairgrass fill in with some java fern swinging in the back.

one major issue though, those white filter pipes just completely kill the tank style :( Although the typical glass pipes on left/right is idea, i know you are under a budget, the alternative is to make the background black then use a set of black filter pipers so they are hidden. As it is now, the 3 GIANT white pipes on 3 sides of the tank just kinda ruins it.

post some pics once the tank fills in, keep it up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store